- Science Writing News Roundup: This is a news roundup with the latest news, opportunities, resources, videos, and events related to science writing and science journalism.
- Storytelling 101 by Massive Science
- Discovering Science: Science Writing (FutureLearn)
- Online Course in Science Journalism created by the WFSJ and SciDev.Net
- “To Beginning Writers” by Carl Zimmer
- Making Science Meaningful for Broad Audiences through Stories
- NPR Training – Storytelling tips and best practices
Tools for Science Writers:
- Canva: Design blog and social media graphics with thousands of beautiful layouts.
- Grammarly: From grammar and spelling to style and tone, Grammarly helps you eliminate errors and find the perfect words to express yourself.
- iA Writer “creates a clean, simple and distraction-free writing environment for when you really need to focus on your words.”
- Mind the Graph: Create beautiful scientific infographics with no effort
- The TON Pitch Database contains more than 200 successful news and feature pitches to a wide range of publications. Each pitch is accompanied by a link to the resulting published story.
- Otter “turns your voice conversations into smart notes that you can easily search and share. You can use it to take notes at your meetings and interviews, capture your thoughts and ideas, and transcribe your existing recordings and podcasts”
- Interviewing/person features
- Structure and Credibility
- Miscellaneous/skill dev
- Visual communication
- Picture as Portal provides SPARK, an online course that teaches researchers to communicate through visuals.
Poynter champions freedom of expression, civil dialogue and compelling journalism that helps citizens participate in healthy democracies. We prepare journalists worldwide to hold powerful people accountable and promote honest information in the marketplace of ideas. Its News University offers many free and paid webinar courses for writers and editors. Here’s a small sample:
- Narrative Writing on Deadline
- Writing Online Headlines: SEO and Beyond
- Beyond the Inverted Pyramid: Creating Alternative Story Forms
If you know of other training opportunities for writers that you can recommend, please drop us a note.