— Previews Disruptive Gene Pools Product that Includes up to 180,000 Genes for Drug Discovery, Protein Screening and More, at $0.04 per Base Pair –
— Silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform Continues to Enable Innovative Products Across Synthetic Biology, Next-Generation Sequencing, Drug Discovery and DNA Data Storage Industries —
SAN FRANCISCO–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Twist Bioscience Corporation (NASDAQ: TWST), a company enabling customers to succeed through its offering of high-quality synthetic DNA using its silicon platform, today introduced its Twist Innovation Lab, a program designed to translate customer needs into new, disruptive products facilitated by synthetic DNA at a scale previously unavailable.
“Building on the advancement and maturation of the synthetic biology community, we continue to apply our proprietary DNA synthesis platform to new initiatives that efficiently eliminate bottlenecks in workflow, as well as allow researchers to further disrupt static processes and approach previously unsolvable problems through a new avenue,” said Emily M. Leproust, Ph.D., CEO and co-founder of Twist Bioscience.
“With an infrastructure in place to explore bleeding-edge research challenges, we are committed to driving the responsible research needed to identify new diagnostic tools and therapies for devastating diseases, to continue to uncover the mysteries of biology and enable more sustainable agricultural and chemical products worldwide,” commented Patrick Finn, Ph.D., SVP Commercial Operations. “Today, we are previewing our first product in the Twist Innovation Lab, Gene Pools, to address the growing demand for multiplexed synthetic biology, largely driven by the explosion of genetic and protein databases mineable by artificial intelligence.”
Gene Pools: Writing the Future of Synthetic Biology
The growth of the synthetic biology industry continues to see incredible innovation and new applications facilitated by unlimited access to the building blocks of research, including synthetic DNA at unprecedented scale. Where previously researchers worked in individual workflows with one gene in one tube, the explosion of biological information provides new opportunities to work in massively parallel workflows to exponentially accelerate the rate and scope of research. Designed with the flexibility to have up to 180,000 genes in a single tube at an affordable price, Twist Bioscience continues to drive toward products that enable customers to innovate at the pace of today’s research and truly change the world for the better.
Robust Product Portfolio for Synthetic Biology Success
Twist’s proprietary DNA synthesis platform currently enables two robust product lines:
- Synthetic biology: A product line delivering high-quality synthetic DNA in different formats for a wide range of research needs in healthcare, industrial chemicals, agricultural biotechnology and academia
- Clonal Genes up to five kilobases, scalable synthesis, no order limitation
- Gene Fragments designed to be inserted into workflow, 1:3000 error rate
- Oligonucleotide Pools, up to 1 million oligos, 300 bases, industry-leading pricing, error rate 1:2000
- Variant Libraries, site saturation and combinatorial libraries
- Next-generation sequencing: A product line built on Twist’s ability to synthesize DNA at scale to create custom double-stranded DNA probes for uniform target enrichment
- Human Core Exome Kit – Uniform enrichment of target regions, unparalleled specificity even at high sequencing depths, reduced overall sequencing cost
- Custom Panels – Rapid and scalable implementation of custom exomes, proprietary design algorithm for balanced capture
- Fixed Panels – Human RefSeq Panel, Pan-Viral Panel, Mouse Exome Panel
- Library Prep Kit – Supports automated workflows, wide range of DNA input types
- Fast Hyb & Wash Kit – 15-minute Fast Hyb supports sample to sequencer in one day
In addition, Twist is applying its technology to two vertical market opportunities. The first is Twist Biopharma, a division of Twist Bioscience. With its unique DNA writing technology, Twist Biopharma allows partners to explore all of the sequence space of interest – individually synthesized sequences to capture all of the data of interest. This precise and rational approach to library fabrication combined with sophisticated bioinformatics and software expertise accelerates antibody discovery by decreasing risk, increasing speed and lowering the failure rate for antibody therapeutic development.
Its second vertical market opportunity embraces the ability to store digital data in DNA, with the benefits of permanence, universal format, density, and energy savings. Twist has demonstrated proof-of-concept projects to preserve cultural and historical information for potentially thousands of years.
Twist Bioscience Engagement at SynBioBeta 2019
- Tuesday, October 1, 2019, 2:30pm, Bill Peck, Ph.D., Chief Technology Officer and Co-Founder of Twist Bioscience on DNA data storage
- Tuesday, October 1, 2019, 5:30pm, Aaron Sato, Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer, Twist Biopharma, a division of Twist Bioscience on biopharma antibody discovery
- Wednesday, October 2, 2019, 1:30pm, Emily Leproust, Ph.D., CEO and Co-Founder of Twist Bioscience on the company
- Thursday, October 3, 2019, 12:30pm, Rebecca Nugent, Ph.D., Director of Research and Development, Twist Bioscience on redesigning the research funnel
- Booth #225 in the Exhibit Hall
About Twist Bioscience Corporation
Twist Bioscience is a leading and rapidly growing synthetic biology company that has developed a disruptive DNA synthesis platform to industrialize the engineering of biology. The core of the platform is a proprietary technology that pioneers a new method of manufacturing synthetic DNA by “writing” DNA on a silicon chip. Twist is leveraging its unique technology to manufacture a broad range of synthetic DNA-based products, including synthetic genes, tools for next-generation sequencing (NGS) preparation, and antibody libraries for drug discovery and development. Twist is also pursuing longer-term opportunities in digital data storage in DNA and biologics drug discovery. Twist makes products for use across many industries including healthcare, industrial chemicals, agriculture and academic research.
Legal Notice Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements. All statements other than statements of historical facts contained herein are forward-looking statements reflecting the current beliefs and expectations of management made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and other important factors that may cause Twist Bioscience’s actual results, performance, or achievements to be materially different from any future results, performance, or achievements expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements. Such risks and uncertainties include, among others, the risks and uncertainties of the ability to attract new customers and retain and grow sales from existing customers; risks and uncertainties of rapidly changing technologies and extensive competition in synthetic biology could make the products Twist Bioscience is developing obsolete or non-competitive; uncertainties of the retention of a significant customer; risks of third party claims alleging infringement of patents and proprietary rights or seeking to invalidate Twist Bioscience’s patents or proprietary rights; and the risk that Twist Bioscience’s proprietary rights may be insufficient to protect its technologies. For a further description of the risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ from those expressed in these forward-looking statements, as well as risks relating to Twist Bioscience’s business in general, see Twist Bioscience’s risk factors set forth in Twist Bioscience’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on August 9, 2019. Any forward-looking statements contained in this press release speak only as of the date hereof, and Twist Bioscience specifically disclaims any obligation to update any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.