Synthetic Biologist: bioMASON, Research Triangle Park, NC
Date: September 18, 2018
bioMASON® is a unique biotechnology start-up manufacturing company with a natural process that will revolutionize the building and construction industry. bioMASON® employs microorganisms and chemical processes to manufacture biological cement-based masonry building materials in ambient temperatures.
bioMASON® is dedicated to finding talented, multi-faceted, hard-working, and passionate people to join our innovative team. We are a young start-up seeking to make a massive impact on carbon emissions. bioMASON® believes in a fast-paced, creative working environment that fosters collaboration and innovation unhindered by traditional boundaries.
The company appeals to self-directed, flexible teammates who embrace ambiguity, learn quickly, possess interpersonal skills, and seek to test ideas through rapid iteration. An insatiable curiosity about biocement™, design sensibilities, and customer empathy is required. The work often requires more than 40 hours per week including occasional nights and weekends.
The Synthetic Biologist is responsible for executing strain engineering initiatives as part of bioMASON®’s contract research group. This position reports to the Senior Research Scientist.
– Master’s degree in molecular biology and/or related field, Ph.D. preferred.
– Demonstrable evidence of successfully directed modification of microorganisms (bacteria, yeast, and/or fungi), from conceptualization to implementation.
Responsibilities, Tasks and Outcomes:
– Metabolic engineering of multiple organisms for desirable phenotypes.
– Leadership and management of technicians, as needed.
– Coordination with relevant partners and services.
Required Skills and Interests:
– Proficient with molecular biology bench techniques (PCR, gel electrophoresis, plasmid construction, transformation, CRISPR-Cas9, etc.).
– Proficient with bioinformatics tools for primer design, construct design, and sequence analysis.
– Familiarity with microplate readers, coulter counters, cell enumeration techniques, colorimetric / fluorescent assays and related instrumentation to evaluate targeted modifications.
– Independent troubleshooting and experimentation.
– Ability to learn quickly in a fast paced environment.
– Ability to interface with external laboratories and consultants.
The Candidate Must Be:
– Organized and possess excellent attention to detail
– Creative, flexible, proactive, punctual, and persistent
– A team player
– Able to Self-Manage
– Comfortable with a demanding fast-paced work environment and able to excel in a growing environment
bioMASON Employees Must Possess:
– Integrity and Honesty
– Passion and Motivation
– Analytical Skills
– Intelligence and Aptitude
Must have reliable transportation to the RTP area.
Please send your resume and fully completed application to email@example.com with the heading “Synthetic Biologist”.
The bioMASON® Career application may be found on bioMASON®’s website, under the “Career” tab
bioMASON®, Inc. takes affirmative actions as an equal opportunity employer to attract, promote, and retain the most fully qualified candidates without regard to race, creed, religion, color, citizenship status, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, predisposing genetic characteristics, genetic information, marital status, status as a domestic violence victim, arrest record, disability, military status, disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces Service Medal veteran, other protected veteran or other characteristic as protected by law.