Software Engineer: Pivot Bio, Berkeley, CA
Date: August 9, 2018
About Pivot Bio
Fueled by an innovative drive and a deep understanding of the microbiome, Pivot Bio is pioneering game-changing advances in crop nutrition. Our proprietary ON Technology™ harnesses the power of naturally occurring microbes to give crops increased access to key nutrients. It’s a smart, sustainable way for farmers to improve yield as they work to help feed the world’s growing population.
Position: Software Engineer. Remote OK.
We are seeking an experienced full-stack engineer to design, build and maintain tools that streamline our research and development efforts. This role is an essential part of our informatics team and will help our team of researchers develop a pipeline of products to support the agricultural community.
- Independently design and develop data, software, or technology solutions to answer scientific or business questions
- Demonstrate proficiency across a range of technologies related to programming languages, data integration, data warehousing, and data visualization and analytics
- Collaborate with local informatics and research scientists to identify and understand their analytical and informatics needs and translate these into solutions
- Implement informatics solutions in the biological science domain in a variety of programming languages and environments.
- Develop solutions in an iterative and interactive development model while working directly with end users
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues in varied scientific and technical roles
- Be equally comfortable working independently and within a team depending on project needs
- Stay abreast of developing technologies, development tools, practices, methods and libraries
- Present projects and systems in front of both scientific and technical audiences
Required skills, experience:
- BS or MS in computer science, software engineering or related STEM discipline with 5+ years professional programming experience
- Full stack experience with Python, Ruby or Go
- Relational database experience (SQL) including schema design
- Test-driven development, continuous integration, deployment and automation
- Experience with cloud computing (Amazon AWS, Google GCP)
- A background or experience in the biological sciences, agriculture, biomedical engineering or bioinformatics (education or experience) is highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to independently plan, design, execute and maintain software solutions.
- Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
- Strong writing skills and excellent verbal communication skills.