Inscripta is developing the world’s first scalable platform for benchtop Digital Genome Engineering. The company’s advanced CRISPR-based platform, consisting of an instrument, reagents, and software, will offer a fully automated workflow that enables multiplexed, trackable editing of cells at an unprecedented scale. Inscripta’s goal is to empower scientists whose gene editing research is stifled by current technical and licensing limitations. By providing this unique platform and engaging in collaborative business practices, such as making its MAD7 CRISPR nuclease free for research purposes, the company enables scientists to realize a new era of biological discovery. Due to rapid growth Inscripta has an opening for a Vice President, Biology.
Reporting to the CTO, the VP, Biology will be a key member of the Senior Management Team. They will be immediately involved in R&D projects involving our Mammalian platform and will help develop Inscripta’s ongoing science strategy and direction in the field of genome editing, synthetic biology, and basic biology research. The ideal candidate has a passion for science and an interest in building new innovative, and transformational technologies and platforms. The role includes opportunities to lead, mentor, and grow our talented team. In addition, the VP, Biology will represent the overall Science function externally with customers and other partners.
As it relates to specific areas of expertise, the VP will bring strong scientific capabilities within molecular genetics, cell biology, and biochemistry with specific experience in mammalian genome editing or DNA repair. This individual should be comfortable operating in a dynamic, fast-paced, high-growth, innovative environment.
- Lead the development and execution of Inscripta’s scientific strategy and create a vision for Inscripta’s mammalian-focused genome engineering products
- Utilize deep connections to professional network to expand knowledge in all areas of biology relevant to achieving commercially viable rates of multiplex genome editing. Be open to innovation and cultivate a deep understanding of the dynamic changes in the CRISPR field.
- Lead, mentor, and grow a team of high performing scientists. Foster scientific excellence in experimental design, execution, and analysis
- Collaboratively integrate the efforts of Inscripta’s Cell Bio, Enzyme Engineering, Biochemistry, and Molecular Biology teams within broad platform development efforts. Collaborate effectively across departments, fostering scientific rigor, a culture of trust, openness, and accountability.
- Contribute to strategy development and decision making in relation to company-wide initiatives as a member of the senior leadership team
- Contribute to the leadership team’s and the Board’s understanding of both Science and R&D challenges to ensure the right go/no go decisions and prioritization of resources
- Work with General Counsel and contribute to the development of the existing intellectual property estate and originate new intellectual property
- Present to, and work with, the Board of Directors, industry and academic partners, investors, the scientific community and other collaborators as appropriate
The ideal candidate will be attracted to the opportunity to be a part of a world class team creating technology that can positively impact the world. Some specific characteristics include:
- PhD in the field of (mammalian) molecular genetics, cell biology, genetic engineering, biochemistry, or related field(s), and an excellent track record of delivering R&D innovations
- Working experience and expertise in technologies used within the fields of molecular genetics, cell biology, and genetic engineering. Expertise in CRISPR technology and mammalian DNA repair is highly desirable
- Strong leadership experience in R&D, a quantitative framework for designing, assessing, and managing research, and the ability to collaborate with internal and external thought leaders. Ability to build trust-based relationships internally and externally.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to critically evaluate scientific data and effectively communicate to scientific and non-scientific communities
Inscripta offers a competitive base salary, bonus plan, benefits package and stock options to all team members. Join us and work with a great team of people developing the world’s first scalable platform for benchtop Digital Genome Engineering. At Inscripta we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our innovation, and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace because the more inclusive we are as a company, the better our work will be. Inscripta is headquartered in Boulder, CO with offices in Pleasanton and San Diego, CA.