Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
Core to our organism engineering pipeline is the testing and analysis of our engineered strains. We leverage NGS and mass spectrometry to get a detailed picture of the performance of these strains. Our analytical approaches are designed to work across dozens of different cultured ingredients and scale 100-1000x via software and automation. We’re seeking highly skilled analytical chemists to join our Test Team, where you will help to improve and scale our existing technologies, and define and develop the next set of analytical technologies that will lie at the center of our foundries.
Ideally, you have practical experience with LC-MS proteomics pipelines, from sample prep to data analysis, and have worked with a mixed team of software developers, process engineers, and biologists. You’re also uniquely able to understand processes, as well as adapt them in response to changing technologies and demands. Plus, you have a detail-oriented approach to meet varied co-occurring demands.
- Operate and improve processes for strain analysis
- Apply DOE approaches to refine and improve sample preparation and assay methods
- Develop and utilize processes for verification and quality control of assays to ensure low CV and reproducibility
- Work closely with software and automation engineers to scale up sample preparation methods and data analysis pipelines 100-1000x
- Collaborate with software engineers to ensure that all generated data is captured, stored, and analyzed in Ginkgo’s LIMS
- Communicate clearly and timely with multiple stakeholders
Desired Experience and Capabilities:
- BS or MS with relevant work experience, OR PhD in biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, computer science, or equivalent
- Experience with HPLC and LC-MS
- Strong expertise in proteomics workflows and data analysis
- Familiarity with Python, databases, and automating data processing pipelines
- Experience working with a mixed team of software developers, process engineers, and biologists
- Experience with laboratory automation a plus
- Demonstrated ability to deeply understand processes, as well as adapt them in response to changing technologies and demands
- Detail-oriented approach to meet varied co-occurring demands
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.