Huue is a Melinda Gates-backed biotechnology company creating the next generation of sustainable dyes for the industries – food, cosmetics, textiles – that are integral to a sustainable future, starting with the indigo for denim. We’re looking for scientists excited about building something new and disrupting an industry. We are hiring a highly motivated Strain Engineering Scientist to improve our strain for high production of our small molecule product and research new strains for various product applications. You will be part of a core team of scientists working to engineer microbial strains and scale fermentation processes to develop more sustainable dyes.
- Design and build strains to optimize production of targeted molecules, based on knowledge of metabolic pathways and cellular physiology.
- Design and execute library-based screening assays for protein engineering experiments.
- Perform hypothesis-driven wet-lab experiments in microtiter plates and shake flasks to improve strain metrics.
- Collaborate closely with fermentation team to develop a strain and fermentation process that can be executed at commercial scale.
- Develop a strain engineering pipeline that supports future expansion.
- Keep organized and detailed documentation. Develop SOPs for documentation and knowledge transfer.
- Keep up to date with current literature in strain engineering and implement new technologies as relevant.
- Present data internally as well as with outside stakeholders, including investors and partners.
- PhD, or MS with over 4 years relevant industry experience. Degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, bioengineering, or other related field preferred.
- Proficient in molecular biology/genetic engineering benchwork.
- Experience in metabolic engineering; familiarity with bacterial physiology and manipulating metabolic pathways for small molecule production.
- Experience in protein engineering and designing/screening libraries.
- Familiarity with natural product biosynthesis.
- Experience with analytical chemistry methods.
- Creative problem solver.
- Independent, detail-oriented worker with strong project management skills.
- Clear and proactive communicator, written and verbal.
- Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary startup team environment.
- Bonus points for interest in denim and/or sustainability.