About Codex DNA:
Our mission is to apply our breakthroughs in automation solutions for DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis to enable customers to program and “write” synthetic biology that creates sustainable healthcare and technology solutions for some of humanity’s biggest challenges. Our gene synthesis portfolio reduces the turnaround time for synthesizing workflows from weeks and months to days and hours, and includes the BioXp system, DNA services, Gibson Assembly reagents, and Vmax chemically competent cells. In addition to automating, accelerating, and optimizing DNA design, synthesis, cloning and amplification, Codex DNA and the BioXp system ensure your designs stay in your hands, marrying speed and security for innovators in drug discovery, vaccine development, precision medicine, and beyond.
About the job
The Sr. Process Development Engineer will be responsible for optimization of a proprietary DNA synthesis system. The role will be responsible for qualifying new synthesis instruments and optimizing system parameters to achieve specified performance requirements. The position will interact with engineering and manufacturing personnel to ensure reliable and consistent performance of the system. The position will also be responsible for feedback of design improvements to engineering when necessary to address design issues. The role interfaces with both internal and external engineering resources. Ultimately, this role will be responsible for the transition of the synthesis system into manufacturing and will establish protocols and procedures for operation and QC of the system and output.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs various chemical related experiments, electro-mechanical, electrical and software troubleshooting and translation of synthesizer setup documentation into workable SGI procedures.
- Provide input and design solutions to improve instrument usage and solve problematic areas of the instrument.
- Refine software scripting routines to improve system performance.
- Recommend and implement solutions.
- Perform periodic reports and reviews of projects as needed.
- Liaison with internal resources in the area of chemistry to co-develop solutions related to instrumentation functionality.
- Oversee the testing of assembled instruments and analyze test results and develop strategies to improve performance, reliability and reduce cost. Develop and produce logs, procedures and reports on operational techniques and testing methods and results.
- Interface with outside vendors and material suppliers as well as other consultants and contacts as required to resolve issues.
- May directly supervise or indirectly guide technicians and customer service personnel.
- May perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
- Highly adaptable and independent.
- Thrive in a start-up, rapidly growing company environment.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, great computer skills.
- Experience with requirements management and traceability.
- Ability to learn quickly and cope with ambiguity.
- Experience working with local and remote teams.
- Take initiative and have a growth mindset.
- Must be well versed in all engineering disciplines.
- Experience with software / hardware testing a plus.
- Background in development of chemistry -related instrumentation is preferred, familiarity with fluidics and optimizing processes relating to Oligonucleotide synthesis and assembly, modification or detection is highly desirable.
- In-depth knowledge of general chemistry, fluidics, data analysis and documentation required.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Mechanical/Bio-Medical or Chemical Engineering, Biology or related field, or the equivalent knowledge and experience required.
- Requires a minimum of five years relevant engineering experience with an M.S. degree; at least 8 years’ experience with a B.S. degree.
- Under standard working conditions, this position is based in our San Diego, CA office.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- As a critical and essential role, the candidate must be willing and able to travel to the San Diego, CA office to report to work. We have protocols in place to provide a safe, socially distanced work environment.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds required.