Do you want to develop software that helps to create new life? Join the Software team at Ginkgo Bioworks and be part of the next great technological revolution – constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. This is your chance to not only develop algorithms and frameworks at the cutting edge of software technologies but also work side by side with the brightest scientists. At Ginkgo you will contribute to the exciting frontiers of synthetic biology including DNA design, genome sequencing, and automating experiments at scales previously unheard of.
We are seeking a Software Engineer who will design, develop, test, and deploy the software used by Ginkgo scientists to create new organisms, conduct experiments, control lab robots, and analyze massive amounts of data. You will work closely with a team of talented and diverse engineers, product managers, experts in data analysis and bioinformatics, and, of course, your customers – biologists and chemists of Ginkgo.
- Design and implement software solutions that address current needs of Ginkgo bioengineers. These solutions could be a microservice, a standalone tool, a user facing web application, data pipeline, etc.
- Working with your lead and product manager to define milestones and deliverables.
- Be part of an agile team, attend scrum meetings, review code produced by your peers.
- Write automated tests for your solution and oversee its deployment.
- Monitor the production environment to detect and address customer’s issues.
- Prototype new ideas, algorithms, and frameworks.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- BS or MS in computer science.
- Relevant internship or work experience.
- Familiarity with biology a plus.
- Excited to work hand-in-hand with the foundry team to architect the next generation of foundry for engineering organisms.