AbSci is a growth stage synthetic biology company located in a new, state-of-the art laboratory in downtown Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland, OR. AbSci is a global leader and innovator of revolutionary biomanufacturing technologies, designing and programming cells for next-generation biopharmaceuticals. Our technology is a new paradigm in the production of biotherapeutic therapies for complex human diseases.
As a Software Engineer at AbSci, you will work closely with scientists and the informatics team to build infrastructure and software applications supporting our scientific pipelines. We build our software solutions with the following technologies – AWS, Docker, Django, REST, Postgres, Spring, Angular as well as a number of other modern tools and frameworks. Here are some examples of the types of projects you would work on: develop backend code to support Django web applications, build data analysis pipelines in Python, add new front-end features to an Angular web app, or develop plugins to third party apps using Python or Java.
As a Software Engineer at AbSci, you will have opportunities to wear many different “hats”, from business analyst to developer to project manager. The startup environment offers many challenges both technically and professionally. Decision making can be very quick and therefore you can really see the impact of your work!
- Work collaboratively with bench scientists and informatics team members to translate data management needs into software solutions.
- Manage and extend an existing Django application that supports a proprietary scientific database.
- Develop Spring beans that add custom functionality to a LIMS (laboratory information management system) using Maven and Gradle.
- Build data pipelines and infrastructure with Python and/or Java that transform and push data to cloud-based applications.
- Participate in code reviews and support best practices for software development.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or related field with 3-5 years of industry experience developing Python and/or Java applications using good software practices.
- Demonstrated experience designing, building and testing web applicationsExperience developing and supporting custom software frameworks.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment and eagerness to learn about our scientific technologies.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Passion for building a gritty and creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and determined to make a transformative impact to our industry.
Huge plus (but not required):
- Familiarity with genetics or biology
We seek candidates with a passion for building a creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to make a transformative impact to our industry. To be successful in this role, we look for passion in technology innovation, adept technical skills, and excitement about working in a dynamic startup environment. A demonstrable track record of success in functioning as part of a project team is essential.