Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
To realize our dream of building a next-generation organism company, each of our organisms needs to be successfully deployed. Translating our lab-scale fermentation processes to pilot – and then commercial – scale is a key step in providing product to our customers and the overall market. We’re seeking a Senior Upstream Process Engineer to scale up our fermentations internally, and then help drive tech transfer to commercial scale.
The ideal candidate is a critical thinker who is passionate about fermentation, and able to interface with and incorporate information from multiple disciplines, both within Ginkgo and externally.
- Execute internal tech transfer and scale-up of fermentations from ambr250 scale to 5L, 10L, and 30L reactors
- Collaborate and coordinate with Ginkgo’s Fermentation, Downstream Process Engineering, Project Engineering, QA/QC, Program, and Alliance Management teams to successfully deliver product to customers
- Provide guidance during outgoing fermentation tech transfer and scale-up
- Manage and maintain Ginkgo’s autoclavable and SIP fermentation systems, guiding facility expansion as needed
- Contribute to identifying, evaluating, and modifying new manufacturing facilities
- Travel up to 15% to customer and contract manufacturing sites
Desired Experience and Capabilities:
- BS in microbiology, biology, chemical engineering, or a related field, with at least 8 years of industrial experience
- Hands-on experience with both autoclavable and SIP reactors
- Expertise with fermentation control software (e.g. MFCS, BioCommand)
- Experience executing both incoming and outgoing tech transfers
- Demonstrated success in scaling a variety of fermentation processes, ideally across multiple organisms
- Ability to work well within a team in a fast-paced environment, and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience mentoring junior team members and leading projects
- Excellent communication, problem solving, and data analysis skills
- Familiarity with GLP / GMP
- Knowledge of technical and quality requirements in the manufacturing of biotech products a plus
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.