Elegen is developing a suite of innovative technologies to unlock the SynBio revolution. We are seeking an intensely passionate and versatile molecular or synthetic biologist to become one of the founding members of the R&D team, spearheading the development of a novel molecular technology.
We are open to various levels of experience as long as the candidate is willing and able to be hands-on in the lab. There will be substantial opportunities for rapid career growth and development as the company advances through subsequent stages, including leadership opportunities for suited individuals.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and self-driven scientist to get in near the ground floor of a fast-moving, very high impact start-up. In addition to working on cutting edge technology, the candidate would help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
Responsibilities of the Role:
- Create, demonstrate, troubleshoot, and optimize molecular and synthetic biology methods.
- Develop and optimize appropriate testing, measurement, and control methodologies to guide research and development.
- Plan and execute hypothesis-driven, statistically rigorous experiments or DOE approaches.
- Properly analyze, document, and report results clearly and efficiently, using programmatic tools such as R or Python as necessary.
- Collaborate on the design and construction of hardware or software components as needed.
- As necessary, develop protocols into reproducible standard operating procedures.
Essential Candidate Qualifications:
- PhD in the biological or engineering sciences.
- Deep knowledge and proven self-directed accomplishments in molecular biology.
- Demonstrable strength in math and statistics.
- Proficient in at least one programming language.
- Advanced capability with data aggregation and analysis using Excel, R, or similar.
- Self-starter, with the ability to independently design and execute experiments to meet goals.
About the company:
A decade ago, fast and scalable DNA sequencing (reading) disrupted the life sciences, enabling a wave of new discoveries and high impact diagnostics and therapeutics. At Elegen, we believe the next frontier in the life sciences will be catalyzed by rapid, scalable DNA synthesis (writing). For decades, synthetic DNA has been an essential input into biomedical and biology research; high throughput sequencing and technologies such as CRISPR have further fueled demand for synthetic DNA. However, the technologies for synthesizing DNA have evolved only incrementally. The ability to generate an essentially unlimited variety of DNA quickly and cheaply will usher in a new era in the life and biomedical sciences. Elegen is developing a suite of ground-breaking technologies, with the promise to synthesize thousands of custom DNA sequences, inexpensively and on-demand, in days instead of weeks.
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is a stealth-mode company that is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT (last round closed June 2020). The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.