AbSci is a growth stage synthetic biology company located in a new, state-of-the art laboratory in downtown Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland, OR. AbSci is a global leader and innovator of revolutionary biomanufacturing technologies, designing and programming cells for next-generation biopharmaceuticals. Our Protein Printing™ technology results in dramatic reductions in the cost of producing biologics, acceleration of drug discovery timelines, and enables the production of previously difficult or impossible-to-produce molecules.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
The Sr. Scientist will focus on innovation and further development of the capabilities of AbSci’s proprietary E. coli SoluPro® expression platform and high-throughput strain optimization workflow. The ideal candidate is a visionary synthetic biologist and strain engineer who will leverage the modern E. coli genetic toolbox, modern DNA construction technologies, bioinformatics, and high-throughput screening methods to push the boundaries of AbSci’s Protein Printing™ technology. The ideal candidate has excellent collaboration skills, a creative approach to problem-solving, exhibits superior people and program management skills, and can execute nimbly and efficiently in a dynamic startup environment.
- Work with the Molecular Science team to advance technical priorities
- Design and build genetic tools and E. coli SoluPro® strain derivatives that enable AbSci to exceed next generation biomanufacturing performance criteria.
- Analyse AbSci library screening, -omics, and related data sets to inform strategies that improve protein titer and quality for select protein therapeutics.
- Provide technical support and strategy for DNA library construction, strain engineering, assay development, and high-throughput screening teams.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in the life sciences, with a focus in synthetic biology, bacterial genetics, bioinformatics, molecular biology, or a similar field.
- 4+ years of industry experience is preferred.
- Extensive experience with modern bacterial strain engineering technologies and approaches.
- Extensive experience with modern DNA construction techniques (Golden Gate, Gibson) and plasmid design tools (Geneious).
- Familiarity with -omics platforms, including hardware, data, and informatic tools for analysis.
- Extensive experience with high-throughput workflows, laboratory automation, and complex data sets.
- Familiarity with recombinant protein expression in E. coli is preferred.
- Passion for building a gritty and creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and determined to make a transformative impact on our industry.
We seek candidates with a passion for building a creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to make a transformative impact in our industry. To be successful in this role, we look for a demonstrable track record of taking ownership, strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail, a sense of urgency, and excitement about working in a dynamic startup environment. A history of success in functioning as part of a project team is essential. AbSci offers highly competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) with a generous company match.