Artemys Foods is looking for a senior scientist or engineer to be a founding member of our mammalian cell culture process development team in San Leandro, CA. Artemys is a cultivated meat company on a mission to empower humanity to eat sustainably. Our company develops edible cell lines, such as skeletal muscle or fat cells, to be used in cultivated meat products. We believe the only way to change how the majority of people are eating meat is to be able to give them real meat — without the negative consequences caused by growing actual animals, whether impact to the environment or animal welfare.
In this role you will develop next-generation cell culture processes to make possible commercial-scale cultivation of mammalian tissue cells, changing the way consumers access meat. This position will report to the Head of R&D.
- Design and set up a bioreactor lab and coordinate the outsourcing or scale-up some experiments.
- Develop cell culture processes for bench scale meat cultivation with future commercialization in mind.
- Develop scaled-down cell culture processes as needed to enable cell line engineering.
- Engage in techno-economic analysis to define the requirements of a commercially viable process.
- Work directly with the CSO to plan scale-up and commercial manufacturing.
- Hands-on experience running mammalian cell culture in multiple types of bench-scale bioreactors.
- Experience or understanding of the scale-up of mammalian cell culture.
- Hands-on experience adapting mammalian cells to microcarrier culture or single-cell suspension.
- Understanding of mammalian cell metabolism and physiology.
- Proficiency in engineering techniques including DoE, mass balance, and quantitative modeling.
- Advanced statistical skills in data analysis using software packages such as R or JMP.
- Ability to build and manage a team of engineers and research associates.
- Growth mindset, curiosity, and ability to learn quickly and work independently.
- Desire to work as a team player and build a diverse, collaborative, and kind work environment.
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize and deliver against timelines and competing priorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A positive attitude that embraces the challenges and opportunities of a dynamic startup environment.
- Experience scaling down mammalian cell culture to 24 or 96-well plate formats.
- Experience or understanding of DSP at commercial scale.
- Basic scripting in relevant languages such as Python, R, SQL, etc.
- Understanding of a wide range of analytical chemistry techniques that are necessary to support process development.
Education and other requirements:
- PhD in Chemical Engineering or related engineering discipline with 5+ years of industry experience.
- Or Masters degree with 10+years of industry experience.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Artemys Foods may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is for our San Leandro, CA location – Artemys Foods may agree to offer relocation assistance for this role.