Miroculus is looking for a motivated, hands-on, and analytical Senior Mechanical Engineer to contribute to our fast paced and dynamic R&D environment. The successful candidate will take hands-on leadership in the design and development of innovative solutions for our next generation Digital Microfluidics instruments and cartridges.
Miroculus has re-imagined the paradigm of laboratory testing, so that high quality science can be practiced anywhere in the world.
Through the use of their proprietary digital microfluidics technology Miroculus can automate manually intensive experimental workflows on to a low-cost cartridge, simplifying the preparatory workflow that currently relies on either manual execution or large and expensive robotic instrumentation. Making it reproducible and more affordable than ever before.
- The Senior Mechanical Engineer reports to the Engineering Manager and collaborates with the electrical engineering, firmware, science, and business development teams on the development of novel electromechanical solutions.
- This person identifies new mechanical engineering designs to meet product requirements, and will also ensure improvements are made to existing designs to achieve better quality, improved manufacturability, and/or cost reductions.
- The candidate should have a strong background in electromechanical engineering principles and applications to solutions in the biotechnology environment.
Planning, good tracking and proper documentation are key elements of this position.
- Technical knowledge and hands-on experience with the tools and methods used in system development are essential.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide hardware engineering leadership in a multidisciplinary team environment, interacting with hardware, software, and manufacturing engineers, scientists and business professionals.
- Serve as subject matter expert with internal stakeholders and external development partners.
- Qualify of component quality, system performance, chemical compatibility and reliability.
- Model fluid flow in air and liquid systems using simulation software (Matlab, Simulink, etc.).
- Use 3D CAD (Onshape or Solidworks) to develop mechanical designs, modeling, and detailed specification of parts, assemblies, and drawings.
- Write and release Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) for engineering drawings and Bills of Material (BOMs).
- Plan, develop and execute experimental test procedures.
Hands-on commitment to building prototypes; procuring parts, laser cutting, molding, bonding materials, assemble breadboards, and assemble prototypes for testing.
- Assist in the transfer of product designs to manufacturing, including documentation, training, QC procedures and test fixtures.
- Coordinate with Lead System Engineer to develop and execute a detailed schedule of mechanical activities that align with the overall project milestones.
Coordinate with vendors to optimize Design for Manufacturability (DFM).
- Compile and analyze operational, test, and research data to establish performance standards for newly designed or modified products.
- Present technical data, including issues, risks, and opportunities to cross-functional audiences, including Product Management, Biologists, Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing, and Supply Chain.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, or equivalent
- Minimum 5-10 years industry experience
- Experience with at least one full product cycle from concept to launch
- Regulatory compliance experience is preferred
- Experience designing electro-mechanical devices and demonstrated strong hands-on mechanical aptitude
- Experience with fluidic devices (e.g. pumps, transducers, tubing, fittings, valves) in the medical device or scientific instrument industry
- High proficiency using 3D CAD software
- Knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA); Matlab and COMSOL is a plus.
- Experience managing contract engineering and vendor relationships is a plus.
- Experience with instrument assembly, plastics assembly, injection molding, blow molding are all pluses.
Preferred Educational Background
MS, or Ph.D. in Mechanical engineering