Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We’re creating the code base, compiler, and debugger for biology. We have built a strong set of internal software tools, automation, and processes that enable high-throughput genetic engineering across multiple species. We want to make them better, more powerful, more scalable, and more performant while making them easier to use, manage, and deploy.
We are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer with a proven track record for delivering first class software infrastructure while working closely with IT and software. You will maintain and scale our infrastructure for deploying and monitoring our software using the latest tools and methodologies, including agile, CI/CT/CD, and infrastructure as code. More specifically, you will construct the software pipeline that will be used by our engineers.
- Assisting developers and IT in DevOps operations, helping to scale and deploy our systems both locally and in the cloud.
- Assisting developers to apply best practices to ensure fully working test, training and production environments using Gitlab-CI, Docker, Ansible.
- Designing, building and maintaining CI/CD, testing, and operations infrastructure for our systems.
- Work closely with IT and Software Engineers to resolve outages and implement changes to avoid future issues.
- Evaluate and leverage AWS, Azure and Google cloud and deployment technologies.
- Automate everything to ensure repeatability.
Desired Experience and Capabilities:
- BS or MS degree in software engineering or related field, or equivalent.
- 5 years of DevOps experience, both building end-to-end automated CI/CD pipelines, as well as application and operations support. This experience should include hard-core hands-on Linux admin, networking, security, and AWS experience in a dev-through-production environment.
- A proven track record of excellent customer service delivery, including working with developers, ops, and users to troubleshoot and resolve challenging problems in a timely manner, and being an embedded DevOps member of an application scrum team, as well as requirements gathering, design, project planning, and implementation of DevOps process and tooling.
- Strong architectural level of understanding of software, networks, security, and operations, with the knowledge and know-how to influence software and operations design and process.
- Strong hands-on familiarity with infrastructure automation tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Terraform, Artifactory/Nexus, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, InSpec, etc.
- Impeccable organizational and communication skills.
- Experience working in Life Sciences a plus.
- Excited to work with the best scientists and engineers to develop the foundry – the code base, compiler and debugger for Life
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.