Strand Therapeutics is an early-stage biotechnology company utilizing synthetic biology to genetically program mRNA to deliver truly revolutionary immunotherapies.
Building on the idea of creating smart therapies that are capable of making sophisticated decisions, Strand was started by biological engineers working together at MIT who were seeking to apply the concept of the emerging field of mRNA therapeutics. This collaboration led them to build their own mRNA “programming language,” creating the world’s first platform for mRNA smart therapies.
The founders and scientific advisors of Strand Therapeutics are made up of well-known and highly regarded individuals in both academia and the biotech industry. We are located in the heart of Kendall Square in Cambridge, MA.
Building a top-notch team!
Strand is looking to build a team that understands the value of working at a start-up. Joining the company now means having vast opportunities to learn and grow including having the exposure to all aspects of building a company. We are looking for people who have the enthusiasm and motivation to be a highly contributing member of a small team. This opportunity will offer the employee the ability to work closely with the founding team, as well as to form close partnerships with team members during the development and formation of the company.
We are looking for a highly motivated and innovative candidate for the role of Scientist, Synthetic Biology. Reporting to the Founder/Head of R&D, this is a fantastic opportunity to make a significant impact as a scientifically motivated self-starter capable of independently conceiving, conducting, and critically analyzing his/her own work with minimal supervision.
You are someone who is:
- Passionate about science and works independently and determines methods and techniques on new or difficult assignments.
- Updated on relevant scientific literature, applying external knowledge to internal drug discovery programs as appropriate.
- Undeterred by difficult problems and enjoys solving them as a team, though you are comfortable leading when necessary.
- Searching for an opportunity to grow within an early-stage company and help invent the next generation of cancer therapies.
Some of the work you will be doing:
- Conceive, design, and validate novel mRNA constructs.
- Discover, design, and validate novel genetic circuits.
- Exercise technical expertise in the design, execution, and interpretation of experiments that contribute to project goals.
- Prepare technical reports, quantitative analyses, protocols, and scientific presentations.
- Help recruit and lead R&D team of Ph.D. and non-Ph.D. scientists.
- Build capacity/functionality of the team by ensuring the latest methodologies and technologies are considered and adopted as applicable.
- Present results to the company’s leadership team, Board of Directors, and other research team peers, as well as presenting externally at scientific meetings and conferences.
- Ph.D. in synthetic biology or related field.
- Postdoc or equivalent experience preferred.
- Strong expertise in synthetic biology and implementation/optimization of genetic circuits required.
- Hands-on experience with synthetic mRNA experiments desirable.
- Extensive experience with various molecular cloning techniques required.
- Strong mammalian cell biology expertise with hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture, transfection, microscopy, and flow cytometry required.
- Experience with viral engineering is a plus.
- Experience conducting cancer research is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience working across internal and external research teams. Prior experience working with CROs and/or academic collaborators desired.
- Candidate should be a strong team player with excellent oral and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work independently to design experiments, interpret data, troubleshoot, and adapt experimental design based on emerging data.