Empress Therapeutics, Inc. is a well-funded, early stage biotechnology company. Empress uses metagenomics, artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) to turn human data into novel drugs with a high probability of clinical success. Our focus is on essential microbial products that play an elite role in human health and disease. Our mission is to turn these novel molecular insights into innovative medicines for cancer, immunological, metabolic, and neurodegenerative diseases.
Empress was founded in Flagship’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Empress Tx is seeking a creative, motivated scientist to play a leading role in the drug discovery group. The candidate will be responsible for transforming bacterial genetic sequences into heterologous hosts to generate purified compounds, peptides, and proteins. The role will involve designing, conducting, and optimizing discovery experiments to engineer microbes, synthesize, isolate, and purify novel microbial-derived products. The ideal candidate will have strong expertise in synthetic biology, chemical biology and analytical chemistry. The candidate will contribute critically to shaping the vision and strategy of the Drug Discovery group. The candidate will bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation, demonstrate strong communication skills, and be comfortable working in and contributing to a very dynamic and cross-functional team environment.
• Design and conduct key experiments to engineer, synthesize, isolate and purify microbial products, including via heterologous expression of metabolic pathways in bacteria.
• Contribute creatively and strategically to biochemical assay design, development and optimization.
• Collaborate closely with other computational and wet lab scientists.
• Identify and lead external research relationships with academic and commercial partners.
• Reporting results to scientific team and management.
• Ph.D. focusing on Synthetic Biology, Natural Product Chemistry, Biosynthesis, Enzymology, Biological Engineering, or related field.
• Experience with plasmid design and organism engineering techniques.
• Experience with diverse molecular biology, analytical chemistry, and microbiology techniques, including western blot, PCR, anerobic culture, HPLC, MALDI-TOF MS, LC-MS/MS, NMR, etc.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner.
• Self-driven and demonstrated ability in working with highly skilled teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial setting.