Novome is building genetically engineered microbial medicines (GEMMs) that perform defined activities in the human gut to treat chronic diseases. We’ve developed the first platform for controlled colonization of the gut with engineered therapeutic bacteria. Our recent $33M Series A funding will bring our lead program in hyperoxaluria into the clinic and expand our platform to additional disease areas.
We are seeking scientists who are eager to push the boundaries of synthetic biology, engineering living medicines to perform robustly in a complex, dynamic environment. Scientists in this role are supported by a strain engineering team capable of converting hundreds of high level designs into strains within weeks and an animal research team able to transform complex experimental designs into high quality data. Scientists would be responsible for leading genetic design-build-test cycles on projects, while working closely in a collaborative, transparent environment with other metabolic engineering, synthetic biology, gut microbiota, disease area and clinical experts to bring new therapeutic bacterial strains from conception to IND filing.
- Drive development of novel platform and therapeutic activities
- Envision novel metabolic, regulatory or protein engineering strategies for robustly engineering therapeutic activity into gut commensal strains
- Identify genetic parts from metagenomic and public data and validate function in therapeutic strain
- Specify and relay strain designs to the strain engineering team, and manage in vitro experiments to characterize designs
- Develop novel in vitro assays and work with technicians or automation scientists to transfer routine assays
- Collaborate with microbiome and disease area scientists to design and interpret animal experiments
- Contribute to defining foundational approaches for predictably engineering therapeutics from genetic modules
- PhD in bioengineering, chemical engineering, biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related discipline
- Proven ability to design complex biological systems, such as systems with multiple interacting regulatory parts or novel metabolic pathways
- Proficiency with Python and next-gen sequencing analysis is a plus
- Experience with prokaryotic protein expression, microbiome data or Bacteroides is a plus
- Eagerness to work collaboratively on a team of experts while adapting to the fast-paced needs of an early stage startup