AbSci is a growth stage synthetic biology company located in a new, state-of-the art laboratory in downtown Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland, OR. AbSci is a global leader and innovator of revolutionary biomanufacturing technologies, designing and programming cells for production of next-generation biopharmaceuticals. Our Protein Printing™ technology results in dramatic reductions in the cost of producing biologics, acceleration of drug discovery timelines, and enables the production of previously difficult or impossible-to-produce molecules.
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
The Scientist, under the general direction of the Sr. Director of Molecular Sciences, will be responsible for building robust and scalable NGS data analysis pipelines and for performing analysis to support the application of AbSci’s proprietary strain screening workflow to client & in-house R&D programs. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience successfully working as part of a team to implement successful bioinformatics solutions and perform high-quality NGS data analysis across multiple projects with aggressive timelines. The candidate is also passionate about science, applies a creative approach to problem-solving, exhibits strong communication skills, and can execute nimbly and efficiently in a dynamic environment.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Typically, PhD-level training in synthetic biology, molecular biology, computational biology, bioinformatics, or a related scientific discipline and 2+ years industry experience.
- Solid understanding of modern HTP molecular cloning techniques and recombinant protein expression in microbial hosts.
- Advanced expertise with the modern NGS data analysis toolkit, including both commercial and opensource algorithms for data quality assessment, read mapping, de novo assembly, variant calling, and sequence annotation for both plasmid and microbial whole-genome sequencing.
- Experience with Django 2.0, Angular2+, REST, Docker, Postgres, Galaxy, AWS, Linux/Unix systems and bash scripting.
- Direct experience with Illumina sequencing platforms (MiSeq in particular). Experience with Oxford Nanopore technology is a plus.
- Proficient in using commercial software packages such as Geneious, CLC Genomics Workbench, SnapGene or Vector-NTI.
- Experience with RNA-Seq is a huge plus.
- Prior experience in leading NGS data analysis effort, setting-up and/or bringing in-house necessary tool kit is preferred
- Passion for building a creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and determined to make a transformative impact to our industry
AbSci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) with a generous company match.