Strand Therapeutics is an early-stage biotechnology company utilizing synthetic biology to genetically program mRNA to deliver truly revolutionary immunotherapies.
Building on the idea of creating smart therapies that are capable of making sophisticated decisions, Strand was started by biological engineers working together at MIT who were seeking to apply the concept of the emerging field of mRNA therapeutics. This collaboration led them to build their own mRNA “programming language,” creating the world’s first platform for mRNA smart therapies.
The founders and scientific advisors of Strand Therapeutics are made up of well-known and highly regarded individuals in both academia and the biotech industry. We are located in the heart of Kendall Square in Cambridge, MA. Become the next standout single strand!
Strand is looking to build a team that understands the value of working at a start-up. Joining Strand now places you alongside the founding executive team and world-leading advisors. We are looking for people who have the enthusiasm and motivation to be a highly contributing member of a small team. This opportunity will offer the employee the ability to work closely with the founding team, as well as to form close partnerships with team members during the initial growth stage of Strand.
We are looking for a highly motivated and innovative candidate for the role of Scientist, mRNA Nanoparticle Formulation Development. The expectation is that the Scientist, mRNA Nanoparticle Formulation Development will have experience leading mRNA drug delivery and (lipid) nanoparticle formulation development projects. Reporting to the Founder/Head of R&D, the right candidate will be a strategic thinker that brings a leadership presence and enthusiasm for Strand along with a deep scientific knowledge.
You are someone who is:
- Looking to grow their leadership/management skills and be an integral part of Strand and its research discovery efforts.
- Searching for an opportunity to grow within an early-stage company and help invent the next generation of gene therapies.
- Willing to develop and nurture junior staff and serve as a mentor and advisor.
- Learns quickly on the job and can take up new and exciting projects without much oversight.
Some of the work you will be doing:
- Develop and lead Strand’s mRNA delivery platform by designing and optimizing (lipid) nanoparticle formulations.
- Characterize and evaluate the physical characteristics and therapeutic indices of (lipid) nanoparticle formulations and components using standard or newly developed in-house assays.
- Produce (lipid) nanoparticle formulations to support internal and partnered programs.
- Research and identify new opportunities and novel project ideas related to mRNA delivery that support Strand’s vision.
- Maintain and establish new relationships with outside collaborators which provide access to proprietary (lipid) nanoparticle formulations.
- Write study protocols, technical reports and SOPs that support the drug discovery efforts of Strand.
- Interact with IP counsel/consultants to assist with patent prosecution.
- Help recruit and lead R&D team of scientists.
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or other relevant scientific discipline with a focus on (lipid) nanoparticle formulation and in vivo delivery of nucleic acidbased payloads.
- Post-doctorate industry experience in nucleic acid formulation development strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience with production and analytical characterization of mRNA-(lipid) nanoparticles (e.g. absorption and fluorescence spectrometry, chromatographic separations, mass spectrometry, electron microscopy, NMR spectroscopy, etc.).
- Familiarity with scale-up/process development, and/or regulatory aspects of mRNA-(lipid) nanoparticle products would be a plus.
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific literature in the field of mRNA delivery
- Demonstrated experience working across internal and external research teams.
- Prior experience working with CROs/CDMOs desirable.
- Highly analytical, decisive, and goal-oriented while maintaining the highest scientific and ethical standards.
- Ability to quickly adapt to change and thrive in a dynamic and entrepreneurial early-stage environment.
- A strong team player with excellent oral and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work independently.