In the BioTherapeutics group at Codexis, we create novel biologics for the treatment of rare genetic disorders. Using our world leading CodeEvolver® protein engineering platform, we discover proteins and the corresponding transgenes with high efficacy and safety with the aim of delivering the protein to patients as a nucleic acid or protein therapy.
Our first program yielded CDX-6114, an orally administered, GI-active enzyme therapy for potential treatment of phenylketonuria. This program has been licensed to Nestlé Health Science. In addition, we have Strategic Discovery Collaborations with Takeda on improved transgenes, and Nestlé Health Science on other GI-directed discovery programs. At this time, we seek a highly motivated scientist with experience in molecular biology, cell line development, cell-based functional and binding assays, and protein engineering.
Successful candidates will be part of an interdisciplinary, dynamic and enthusiastic team responsible for implementing Codexis’ core technologies to deliver candidate biologics.
- Design and construction of cell lines.
- Development and optimization of cell-based assays.
- Design and construction of gene libraries and expression vectors.
- Design and construction of fusion constructs.
- Characterization of gene variants.
- Cloning of genes and genetic pathways.
- Optimization of recombinant protein expression in multiple expression hosts.
- Provide technical guidance for protein engineering projects.
- Analysis and interpretation of DNA sequencing data and assay data. Analysis and interpretation of contribution of mutations to desired properties of gene variants.
- Work independently and with project teams to provide support and assistance to all phases of directed evolution projects, contribute to team presentations and written reports.
- Maintain a safe and efficient work place, follow safe lab practices and organize lab environment.
REQUIRED/DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- PhD in Molecular Biology or related field with 3+ years of industry experience
- Experience with designing constructs for protein expression in mammalian hosts.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and cell-based assays required; knowledge and understanding of directed evolution preferred.
- Experience with DNA manipulation, library design and generation, protein expression and multiple expression hosts.
- Ability to independently develop, validate and troubleshoot protocols.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities and multi-task.
- Ability to provide technical vision, leadership and guidance to project teams.
- Ability to think critically, work both independently and within cross-disciplinary project teams.
- Must be able to work and communicate well within project teams.
- Must be motivated and able to work under tight deadlines.
- Must be flexible, able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written, presentation skills and interpersonal skills.
The position comes with a competitive compensation and benefits package, including paid company holidays, paid time off, health benefits, 401k match, and much more. For more information about our plans for the future, and to be considered for this career opportunity, please visit www.codexis.com.