Artemys Foods is looking for a scientist to be a founding member of our cell culture process development team in San Leandro, CA. We are a new company on a mission to empower humanity to eat sustainably, by creating the next generation of meat alternatives that combine plant-based and cultivated meat. We believe the only way to change how the majority of people are eating meat is to be able to give them real meat— without the negative consequences caused by growing actual animals, whether impact to the environment or animal welfare. The core of our research is developing edible cell lines, such as skeletal muscle and fat cells, to be used in meat alternative products. From the start, we are investing into advanced high throughput and automation technology.
In this role you will develop next generation scale down cell culture processes to enable high throughput screening of commercial meat cell lines, changing the way consumers access meat. This position will report to the Head of R&D.
- Independently conceive, initiate, and complete critical research projects in the field of scaled down mammalian cell culture.
- Analyze, synthesize, and present data to the research team and make recommendations for future research.
- Develop scale down cell culture processes that accurately predict performance in bioreactors.
- Develop low cost media formulations for growth of mammalian cells in suspension.
- Manage complex projects and junior scientists and RAs as necessary.
- Hands-on experience scaling down cell culture to 24 or 96-well, flask, or mini-bioreactor formats.
- Experience using lab automation for high throughput screening.
- Understanding of mammalian cell metabolism and physiology.
- Proficiency in engineering techniques including DoE, mass balance, and quantitative modeling.
- Advanced statistical skills in data analysis using software packages such as R or JMP.
- Growth mindset, curiosity, and ability to learn quickly and work independently.
- Desire to work as a team player and build a diverse, collaborative, and kind work environment.
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize and deliver against timelines and competing priorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A positive attitude that embraces the challenges and opportunities of a dynamic startup environment.
- Experience using automation in fermentation or high throughput screening.
- Basic scripting in relevant languages such as Python, R, SQL, etc.
- Understanding of a wide range of analytical chemistry techniques that are necessary to support process development.
Education and other requirements:
- PhD in Chemical Engineering or related engineering discipline.
- Or Masters degree with 5+years of industry experience.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Artemys Foods may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.