At Codexis (Nasdaq: CDXS) we believe in harnessing the power of biology to improve the health of this planet and its inhabitants. We are an industry leader in protein engineering with a successful track record of developing novel enzymes used as biocatalysts for the commercial production of small molecule pharmaceuticals, chemicals used in the food industry, as well as multiple other applications. Codexis has also discovered and developed novel biotherapeutic enzymes for the treatment of rare genetic disorders and other indications with significant unmet medical need. Broad partnerships have been established with Nestle Health Science and Takeda Pharmaceuticals to co-develop multiple new drug candidates.
Codexis is looking for a DSP Scientist to join our Bioprocess Development team. As a DSP Scientist, you will use your technical expertise to take on and provide leadership to diagnostic and biotherapeutic projects while coordinating the work of a small team of scientists and/or engineers. Beginning with a novel enzyme expressed in a microbial or mammalian host, you will develop and execute a downstream process to purify it to a phase-appropriate quantity and quality. This work starts with being a member of a research team focused on identifying lead candidates and continues as a critical member of a development team with the aim to produce this enzyme for commercial assessment in the case of diagnostic enzymes or preclinical tox and early phase clinical studies for biotherapeutic enzymes. You will use your attention to detail and both written and oral communication skills to participate in regular exchanges of information with team members at various levels and throughout the company in an environment that is fast-paced, supportive, and highly collaborative. Along the way you will also be mentoring junior members of your team to develop their skills and independence while removing roadblocks and refining priorities. This will take excellent communication skills, initiative, collaboration, critical thinking, and facilitating a positive team culture.
- Purification process development for newly evolved enzymes expressed in a variety of microbial and mammalian hosts.
- Development of primary recovery unit operations at the bench scale (0.1 to 10 L) such as centrifugation, homogenization, flocculation, tangential-flow filtration (TFF), and depth filtration.
- Development of chromatography unit operations, from screening and characterization to optimization and initial scale-up.
- Adaptation and troubleshooting of research analytical methods such as HPLC, SDS-PAGE, enzyme activity and endotoxin assays to quantify yield, activity, and purity at various stages of the manufacturing process.
- Coordination with business and technical groups to produce purified enzymes to support activities such as in vivo studies and formulation development.
- Authoring of key documents such as development plans, development reports, and technology transfer packages.
- Effective communication with technical and business-oriented audiences within the company through presentations and written reports.
- Mentoring and training of research associates.
- Education: BS, MS or Ph.D. in Biophysics, Biochemistry, or Biological Science, BS with 10+ years, MS with 6+ years or Ph.D. with 0-3 years industry experience in purifying and analyzing enzymes
- Strong technical background and direct hands-on experience with downstream processing unit operations such as chromatography, centrifugation, homogenization, tangential-flow filtration, sterile filtration, etc.
- Sound understanding of protein biochemistry and recombinant protein expression in microbial and mammalian hosts relevant to downstream purification.
- Understanding of engineering issues related to process scale up and ability to apply both practical and analytical skills to implement relevant scale down models.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi-task and remain flexible with changing needs.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (oral and written).
The position comes with a competitive compensation and benefits package, including paid company holidays, paid time off, health benefits, 401k match, and much more. For more information about our plans for the future, and to be considered for this career opportunity, please visit www.codexis.com.