Protein Biochemist, Bioprocess Development
At Codexis, we are creating sustainable chemicals, pharmaceutical processes, and renewable ingredients that make industry more efficient, productive and profitable. Industrial biotechnology from Codexis reengineers enzymes and microorganisms – nature’s catalysts – and puts them to work to solve real global challenges for the world’s largest companies.
Codexis is seeking a Protein Biochemist to work within Bioprocess Development team focused on purification and fundamental characterization therapeutic and diagnostic enzymes. This position will be part of a dynamic team responsible for bioprocess development, scale up, and tech transfer of enzyme product manufacturing.
The Process Development Scientist will be responsible for:
- Development of purification processes for newly evolved enzymes expressed in a variety of microbial and mammalian hosts.
- Development of analytical methods to assess and effectiveness and robustness of purification processes
- Development of unit operations at the bench -scale (10L) such as, centrifugation, homogenization, precipitation, ultra-filtration, depth filtration and chromatography.
- Production of purified enzymes for animal studies, diagnostic tests, reference standards, and preliminary stability studies.
- Perform analyses including enzyme activity, SDS-PAGE, SE-HPLC, LAL, host cell-DNA, host cell protein, as necessary
- Characterization of the physicochemical properties of newly evolved enzymes such as pI, molecular size, pH and temperature stability to provide relevant information purification development.
- Troubleshoot and adapt analytical methods to quantify yield, activity, and purity at various stages of the manufacturing process
- Technical support for pilot scale manufacturing operations.
- Working within multidisciplinary project teams to design and execute process development campaigns, interpreting data, and working with other team members to integrate results into process designs and overall project plans.
- Independently investigate complex analytical problems and provide robust solutions
- Troubleshoot and maintain analytical and process equipment.
- Identify and evaluate new technologies for downstream processing and analysis.
- Authoring and review of equipment and process SOPs.
- Education: BS, MS or Ph.D. in Biophysics, Biochemistry, or Biological Science, BS with 10+ years, MS with 6+ years or Ph.D. with 0-3 years industry experience in purifying and analyzing enzymes
- Sound understanding of protein biochemistry and recombinant protein expression in microbial and mammalian hosts relevant to downstream purification.
- Ability to design and develop assays.
- Strong technical background and direct hands-on experience with downstream processing unit operations such as preparative chromatography, centrifugation, homogenization, micro filtration, ultra-filtration, sterile filtration, etc.
- Proficient at protein purification using affinity, size exclusion, ion exchange, and hydrophobic interaction chromatography using AKTA FPLC systems.
- Experience in enzyme activity, protein characterization, and protein quantification. Experience with glycan analysis is a plus.
- Experimental design and data analysis capabilities including Design of Experiments (DOE).
- Understanding of engineering issues involved in scale up and possesses both practical and analytical skills to implement relevant scale down models.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi-task and remain flexible with changing needs.
- Must be motivated and able to work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills, documentation, organization, good record keeping, writing reports and SOPs.
- Able to work effectively in cross functional teams to solve manufacturing problems or implement improved procedures.
- Mentor and supervise staff as well as work effectively with management teams.
- Some travel to manufacturing sites will be required