AbSci is a growth stage synthetic biology company located in a new, state-of-the art laboratory in downtown Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland, OR. AbSci is a global leader and innovator of revolutionary biomanufacturing technologies, designing and programming cells for next-generation biopharmaceuticals. Our Protein Printing™ technology results in dramatic reductions in the cost of producing biologics, acceleration of drug discovery timelines, and enables the production of previously difficult or impossible-to-produce molecules. Our technology is a new paradigm in protein production, as it increases discovery throughput, accelerates development, reduces manufacturing costs, and increases plant capacity for the biopharmaceutical industry.
The Scientist will join our Assay and Analytical development team and play a significant role in analytical method development and testing of protein biologics. Core responsibilities include development and optimization of LC (e.g. LC-UV, SEC, IEX, etc.) and LC-MS (intact mass, peptide mapping, disulfide mapping, etc.) methods for the analysis of protein biologics. The successful candidate is also responsible for exploring new and innovative technologies, overseeing the routine instrument operation and maintenance, as well as training of junior personnel and other teams. The ideal candidate will use their passion for scientific innovation and excellent technical skills to execute their responsibilities with high attention to detail and a sense of urgency, working well within a team dynamic in a high-performance culture.
- Develop and execute laboratory tasks to support the development, optimization, and sample analysis of chromatographic and electrophoretic assays for biologics characterization
- Design and perform experiments for the characterization of protein therapeutics including purity by LC-UV, SEC, IEX, and/or CE, intact mass, peptide mapping, disulfide mapping, post-translational modifications, and sequence variants
- Perform regular maintenance and operation of sophisticated chromatography instrumentation, (e.g. HPLC, MS, CE, etc.)
- Evaluate new technologies and analytical platforms, including automation, proteomics workflows, etc.
- Support internal fermentation and purification product development teams
- Use of software packages such as LIMS, ELNs (electronic lab notebooks), EMPOWER, JMP, etc.
- Evaluate data for trends indicative of product performance, method performance, and/or analyst performance
- Operation, maintenance, and installation of equipment
- Write and review formal reports, including method SOPs, reports, and other technical documents
- Maintain accurate documentation of all work in laboratory notebooks
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams
- PhD in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related scientific discipline degree with a minimum of 2 years of industry experience. Masters or Bachelors degree with equivalent years of experience.
- 2+ years comprehensive hands-on experience in the operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of LC, LC-MS, and CE instrumentation.
- Experience with SDS-PAGE
- Experience in sample preparation techniques including proteolytic digestion, deglycosylation, reduction, alkylation, desalting, buffer exchange, etc.
- Strong capabilities in experimental design and execution and data interpretation
- Problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
Huge plus (but not required):
- Laboratory experience with techniques such as HPLC (RP, SEC, IEX), LC-MS and LC-MS/MS, and CE
- Laboratory experience with and knowledge of protein biochemical and biophysical techniques such as enzyme activity assays, receptor binding assays, cell based bioassays, ELISA, SDS-PAGE, Western blot, qPCR, iCEF, CD, DSC, DLS is preferred
- Experience working with CMO’s and CRO’s for methods transfer, method optimization, and data and report review is preferred
- Knowledge of cGLP/cGMP, FDA, EMA, ICH guidance’s and industry standards for analytical development and characterization of proteins is preferred
- Previous experience in statistical data analysis and Design of Experiment (DoE) as applied in an industrial biopharmaceutical environment
- Experience in using software packages such as LIMS, ELNs (electronic lab notebooks), EMPOWER, JMP, etc.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, strong verbal and written communication skills, attention to detail, a sense of urgency, and organizational skills
- Passion for building a creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and determined to make a transformative impact to our industry
We seek candidates with a passion for building a creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to make a transformative impact to our industry. To be successful in this role, we look for strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail, a sense of urgency, and excitement about working in a dynamic startup environment. A demonstrable track record of success in functioning as part of a project team is essential. AbSci offers highly competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) with a generous company match.