Tinctorium is an Oakland-based startup that is making the world of colors more sustainable via microbial fermentation, starting with denim dyeing. We’re looking for scientists excited about building something new and disrupting an industry. We are hiring a highly motivated Research Associate to help develop a robust, scaleable process for fermentation of small molecule products. The main focus of the Research Associate will be to help develop a fermentation process, but we are looking for flexibility in working on strain engineering, analytical chemistry, and/or downstream processing. You will be part of a core team of scientists working to engineer microbial strains and scale fermentation processes to develop more sustainable dyes.
– Work closely with scientific team to design experiments.
– Prepare media and stock solutions for experiments.
– Set up, operate, and tear down bench-scale bioreactors. Sample reactors and prepare samples for analysis.
– Analyze data and prepare experiment summaries.
– Maintain a safe and clean workspace.
– Keep organized and detailed documentation throughout experimental process. Develop SOPs for documentation and knowledge transfer.
– Present data to and communicate effectively with other team members.
– BS in chemical engineering, bioengineering, molecular biology, microbiology or other related field preferred.
– Biology/biochemistry lab experience.
– Strong understanding of sterile technique.
– Experience with lab-scale bioreactors preferred.
– Able to occasionally work off hours or weekends.
– Detail-oriented, keeps thorough and accurate documentation.
– Clear and proactive communicator, written and verbal.
– Fast learner with enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary startup team environment.
– Bonus points for interest in denim, sustainability, and/or fashion.