Mission-driven LanzaTech is a revolutionary solution to climate change, capturing pollution to clean our skies and oceans and create new high value products for a sustainable future. LanzaTech captures pollution to make fuels and chemicals, including sustainable jet fuel and products you use every day. The technology is like retrofitting a brewery onto an emission source like a steel mill or a landfill site, but instead of using sugars and yeast to make beer, pollution is converted by biology to fuels and chemicals! Imagine a day when your plane is powered by recycled emissions, when your yoga pants started life as pollution from a steel mill. This future is possible using LanzaTech technology.
We are seeking a Research Associate to support metabolic engineering of LanzaTech’s proprietary gas fermenting microbes for production of new molecules. The Research Associate will be joining LanzaTech’s Synthetic Biology team and working in a cross-functional project team. Types of activities include plasmid library construction, bacterial transformation and culturing, confirmation of clones and product screening and also include common lab tasks as preparing buffer and media, stocking consumables, etc.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design, cloning and assembly of multi-fragment DNA constructs for heterologous pathway expression;
- Genetic modification and selection of LanzaTech proprietary microbes;
- High-throughput cultivation, transformation, screening of LanzaTech proprietary microbes;
- Analysis of growth studies and interpretation of results against model predictions;
- Use of computational tools and databases;
- Design experiments in conjunction with scientists across functional groups and support of senior scientist in project;
- Maintain a laboratory notebook, batch production records and QC data in LIMS system as required;
- Attend seminars and participate in group and project meetings or lab activities as required.
- M.Sc. or B.Sc. (or equivalent) in Synthetic Biology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Chemical Engineering or a related field with preferable 1-2 years of relevant experience in a laboratory setting;
- Hands-on experience in cloning and assembly of DNA and growth of microbes;
- Use of DNA design software, word processing, data collaboration tools, presentation and spreadsheet applications, and familiarity with concepts in statistics and tools to analyze data;
- Strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills;
- High attention to detail and careful record keeping;
- Independent and highly self-motivated;
- Excellent communication skills and the desire to work in a team;
- Awareness of safety issues in the work environment.
- Experience in biotech industry;
- Experience with metabolic engineering;
- Experience different cloning methods such as Gibson or Golden Gate assembly and genetic tools such as CRISPR and homologous recombination;
- Experience working with genetic and metabolic pathway databases and DNA design software;
- Experience working with anaerobic microbes;
- Strong computer literacy, including Office, SharePoint; Experience in scripting and working with large datasets is preferred;
- Ability to conduct research independently and manage multiple tasks in parallel.
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.