AbSci is a growth stage synthetic biology company located in a new, state-of-the art laboratory in downtown Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland, OR. AbSci is a global leader and innovator of revolutionary biomanufacturing technologies, designing and programming cells for next-generation biopharmaceuticals. Our Protein Printing™ technology results in dramatic reductions in the cost of producing biologics, acceleration of drug discovery timelines, and enables the production of previously difficult or impossible-to-produce molecules.
We are currently in a growth phase and are seeking a motivated individual with a strong hands-on background in microbiology to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for scientific innovation, exhibit adept technical skills, and be comfortable working in a dynamic startup environment where research targets can change from day to day.
The Research Associate will be primarily occupied with executing a variety of high throughput assays. These include flow cytometry and cell sorting, ELISA, and plate based micro-fermentations. This position will be responsible for independently preparing media and buffers, processing samples, and preliminary analysis of results. Work will be done on a variety of automated hardware platforms including flow cytometers and liquid handlers. Candidate is enthusiastic about laboratory bench work, exhibits meticulous attention to detail, an eagerness to learn new techniques, and is comfortable working in a highly dynamic and rapidly scaling company.
After training, will be required to work 1 weekend day per week as part of regular schedule.
- Prepare needed buffers, stock solutions, and media
- Independently execute strain screening experiments
- Compile and enter data into the company’s LIMS system
- Preliminary analysis of data to ensure operational integrity before handoffs to downstream groups
- Assemble reports to share experimental results
- Execute experiments designed by senior teammates to investigate variability, nonconformance, outlying data points, or support process development
- Review and follow standard operating procedures to obtain reproducible results
- Collaborate with others to assist in troubleshooting equipment and processes
- Bachelors Degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry or related field
- Minimum 1 – 2 years experience required in an academic or industry (preferred) lab setting
- Good understanding of aseptic technique and microbial culturing
- Hands-on experience with bacterial cell culturing in plate formats. Experience running bioreactors is an acceptable substitute
- Hands-on experience running ELISA assays or working with flow cytometers
- Candidate must be comfortable using electronic lab notebooks, and computers in general
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication, attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends as needed
Nice-to-have (but not required):
- Experience with liquid handlers
- Understanding of statistics and statistical software (JMP)
- Experience with coding in Python or R
AbSci looks for candidates with a passion for building a gritty and creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and determined to make a transformative impact to our industry. AbSci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, long term disability and voluntary life insurance plans, paid time off, 401(k) with a generous company match, and equity.