GRO Biosciences is leveraging breakthrough technologies from computational protein design and synthetic biology to develop best-in-class protein therapeutics with enhanced properties. The company has established multiple genomically recoded strains of bacteria that can incorporate non-standard amino acids into proteins to confer increased potency, stability, and targeted delivery. GRO Biosciences is applying its technology platform to develop improved protein therapeutics for diabetes, growth disorders and autoimmunity. The company, founded by Dr. George Church, is located at the Harvard Life Lab, a shared laboratory space for high-potential life sciences and biotechnology startups founded by Harvard faculty, alumni, students, and postdoctoral scholars.
RA/Senior RA, Strain Engineering
GRO Biosciences (GRObio) is hiring a Research Associate (RA) or Senior RA to advance the company’s recoded organism technology. Recoded organisms enable efficient production of proteins using an expanded amino acid alphabet. Imagine working for a biotechnology company that doesn’t have to play by the rules of its competitors. With the tools at GRObio you’ll have the opportunity to solve problems once considered impossible.
The day-to-day for this position will include a variety of directed evolution, molecular biology, library construction, strain engineering experiments related to demonstrating the performance of recoded organisms in commercially-relevant contexts. Candidates will operate within a tight-knit working environment on the Chassis Engineering team. GRObio values training and independence as metrics for ideal employee development, and the capable candidate will be able to leverage resources throughout our organization to learn, improve, and grow.
- Use library approaches for allele discovery to improve biologic production
- Leverage next-gen sequencing to deconvolve driver alleles underlying desirable phenotypes; analyze sequences using custom analysis pipelines for NGS
- Develop and optimize new reporters to enable high throughput screens and selections
- Clone, sequence, and QC library-based studies for strain optimization
- Utilize genome editing to implement findings from discovery work in recoded organisms
- Diligently record progress in our electronic lab notebook and LIMS systems
- Clearly communicate results and recommendations to the team both in-person and online
- MS degree (or BS/BA degree plus at least 1 year of research experience) in biology, microbiology, biotechnology, synthetic biology, systems biology, biological engineering, or other related field
- Proficiency in molecular biology and microbiology
- Proficiency with gene sequencing
- Strong communication skills, selfless work habits
- Proficiency in bacterial expression logic and engineering
- Next-gen sequencing, library prep, and/or analysis of large sequencing datasets
- Evolutionary selections
- Organism industrialization and commercialization of industrial processes