Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
To realize our dream of building a next-generation organism company, each of our organisms needs to be successfully deployed. Critical to this process is ensuring that the deployed product reproducibly meets defined specifications. Therefore, we’re seeking a Quality Assurance / Quality Control Engineer to help define product specifications, and ensure Ginkgo, our customers, and our contract manufacturers have the necessary methods in place to guarantee that we consistently meet those specifications.
- Develop and validate analytical methods, focused primarily on accurate and precise quantitation
- Compose standard operating procedures (SOPs) and other guidance documents, and compile method tech transfer protocols
- Monitor, analyze, and characterize in-process and finished product samples
- Support the analysis of pilot- and commercial-scale fermentation and downstream processing, as well as the validation of process performance at key project stages during lab-scale development
- Perform QA/QC data collection, data integration, and data archiving, with the use of Ginkgo’s proprietary laboratory information management system (LIMS)
- Maintain analytical instruments and associated maintenance logs, troubleshooting instrument malfunctions as needed
- Design and execute stability studies, provide stability assessments, and inform specification changes and investigations as appropriate
Desired Experience and Capabilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related field, with at least 5 years of industrial experience; OR Master’s Degree with at least 2 years of industrial experience; OR PhD
- Hands-on experience with or working knowledge of analytical testing using GC, GCMS, HPLC, LCMS, FTIR, UV-Vis, and/or NMR
- Advanced data analysis skills and experience with the implementation of high-level error analysis
- Ability to function in a fast-paced start-up environment and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication and data analysis skills
Additional Preferred Experience and Capabilities (desired, but not essential):
- Fluency with programming language(s), particularly Python, and experience reviewing and integrating with others’ code
- Working knowledge of purification techniques such as distillation, flash chromatography, and crystallization
- Knowledge of technical and quality requirements in the manufacturing of biotech products
- Familiarity with GMP, HACCP, and FDA regulations
- Experience performing QC review (document verification and audit trail review)
- Experience with fermentation and microbial processes
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.