Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
Key to the design of organisms for the production of cultured ingredients are the biosynthetic enzymes that make these natural products. We are seeking protein biochemists interested in tackling the formidable challenge of developing our parts set for biosynthesis across microbial metabolism. As you develop this enzyme toolkit, you’ll be tackling the full gamut of technical challenges: expression, solubility, localization, activity, substrate specificity, product profile, and more. As such, you’ll need to bring the complete repertoire of solutions to bear on these problems, from synthetic metagenomics to directed evolution to rational protein engineering and more.
- Functional expression of enzyme families and classes
- Debug and troubleshoot issues in functional expression, including (but not limited to) expression, solubility localization, and enzyme activity
- Apply DOE approaches to optimize enzyme expression and function
- Apply rational protein engineering, directed evolution, synthetic metagenomics, and other approaches for enzyme redesign
Desired Experience and Capabilities:
- PhD or equivalent
- Deep experience in enzyme catalysis
- Deep experience in functional enzyme expression in microbial hosts
- Experience in protein engineering or directed evolution
- Experience in natural products chemistry and/or secondary metabolism a plus
- Experience with HTP assays a plus