Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That’s because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation’s toughest challenges—and we’re committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We’re making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
MITRE’s Biotechnology & Life Sciences Department is seeking a Principal Complex Systems Biologist with a track record of research excellence to co-lead the establishment of a Synthetic Biology research group and contribute to ongoing synthetic biology related efforts across MITRE’s work program. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual who enjoys having broad responsibilities, can thrive in a collaborative work environment, and can contribute to multiple projects concurrently.
The successful candidate will provide thought and project leadership and work with MITRE staff to formulate and execute a strategy for engagement in this rapidly evolving field. In this role, you will be responsible for developing a robust internally and extramurally funded research program that establishes new research areas, develops new technologies, and uses those technologies to produce revolutionary capabilities for MITRE’s government sponsors and the marketplace. You will lead efforts to generate new or expanded work in this area that directly contributes to MITRE’s public interest mission of Solving Problems for a Safer World. This position provides an opportunity for collaboration across multiple disciplines in the life and physical sciences and engineering disciplines, and access to undergraduate and graduate interns.
While initial efforts will primarily focus on strategy development and establishing a research program, it is expected that you will contribute to ongoing projects. In this role, you will provide project leadership and contribute technical expertise to systems and synthetic biology related programs sponsored by the DoD and other government agencies. This position will allow you to provide strategic guidance to MITRE’s government sponsors and assist them in the conception, planning, development, and execution of programs designed to develop solutions to problems of critical national security importance.
- Developing and executing a strategic plan for how MITRE should engage in synthetic biology
- Establishing a synthetic biology group that works at the intersection of computational and experimental biology
- Developing and executing a robust fundamental and applied research program in synthetic biology
- Leading, managing, and executing complex R&D initiatives involving synthetic biology
- Developing and coordinating external partnerships, collaborations, and strategic relationships across academia, industry, and government
- Managing internal contacts and work across MITRE to develop initiatives, programs, and projects related to synthetic biology
- Leading multidisciplinary teams and contributing technically to on-going projects and research in areas including: synthetic biology, bioinformatics/computational biology, biosecurity, and biodefense.
- Providing technical analyses/assessments of emerging technologies
- Preparing technical presentations, reports, whitepapers, tutorials, and other materials as necessary to communicate the progress and findings of projects to colleagues and government sponsors
- Independently authoring detailed, accurate, and accessible documentation (including scientific papers) describing findings and results
- Presenting scientific findings and project results to the internal team and external partners
- Mentoring and training junior staff members
- Staying current with scientific literature, developments, and efforts and present to the team on relevant topics
- BS and 10 years of related experience, including 2 years of leadership experience
- Applicants selected for this position will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances.
- Candidate must have a background in synthetic biology with a PhD in one of the following areas: Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, or a related field.
- 5-8 years experience in academia, industry, or government
- A track record of developing and executing biotechnology research programs
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex scientific research programs
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Systems and/or synthetic biology experience and strong computational skills
- Excellent leadership and mentoring skills with prior experience as the PI or scientific lead on complex research projects
- Flexibility, adaptability and the ability to deal with ambiguous situations
- Strong written and oral communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with audiences of varying technical depth
- Strong publication record in disciplines related to the position
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and sustain a strong externally funded research program in systems biology, synthetic biology, or computational biology
- Track record of interacting creatively, collaboratively, and productively with other scientists
- Self-motivation, intellectual curiosity, and excitement to carry out interdisciplinary research involving multi-omic data analysis and biological modeling
- Strong organizational skills
- Impressive technical track record at top-tier academic/research institutions or companies
- Knowledge of biotechnology/biosecurity programs in DoD, Department of Justice (DoJ), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Health and Human Services (HHS), intelligence agencies, and other USG organizations.
MITRE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. MITRE recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual identity, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status.
MITRE intends to maintain a website that is fully accessible to all individuals. If you are unable to search or apply for jobs and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of MITRE’s employment process, please contact MITRE’s Recruiting Help Line at 703-983-8226 or email at email@example.com.
Copyright © 1997-2020, The MITRE Corporation. All rights reserved. MITRE is a registered trademark of The MITRE Corporation. Material on this site may be copied and distributed with permission only.