Codexis is a biotechnology company focused on utilizing its proprietary directed evolution technology to improve enzymes and other proteins for the treatment of rare genetic disorders, drug manufacturing, food processing, sustainable chemicals, and other applications.
We are looking for an individual with a solid foundation in chemistry, biochemistry, medicinal chemistry, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, bioinformatics, or translational biology, to join our patent team. The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic and enthusiastic team responsible for protecting Codexis’ intellectual property and will report to the Chief Patent Counsel/AVP of IP.
Skills and Responsibilities:
- Reviewing and analyzing invention disclosure statements.
- Working closely with inventors to draft, file and prosecute quality patent applications.
- Drafting and prosecuting US patents.
- Assisting and instructing foreign patent associates.
- Assisting in the development and strategic management of Codexis’ worldwide patent portfolio.
- Assisting with landscape, freedom to operate, patentability, and other analyses.
- Assisting with patent enforcement and challenge proceedings.
- Assisting with contract drafting and negotiations.
- Assisting with contract and collaborator/customer management.
- Assisting in other legal areas (e.g., transactional, regulatory, etc.), as needed.
- A J.D. from an accredited law school and a member in good standing of the California bar or in-house corporate counsel status in California is required.
- Also required is a Ph.D. or postdoctoral emphasis in molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, chemistry, biochemistry, medicinal chemistry, translational biology, or closely related fields; exceptional M.S. candidates with at least 8 years of industry experience will be considered.
- Candidate must demonstrate a strong scientific background in the biological sciences, including a good understanding of chemistry, biochemistry, medicinal chemistry, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, and bioinformatics.
- USPTO registration required.
- Experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications is a plus.
- Outstanding writing skills, preferably demonstrated by original writing samples of patent applications, prosecution submissions, and/or other patent-related communications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to transfer inventive scientific concepts into quality patent applications.
- Familiarity with Sequence Listings is a plus.
- Experience working with foreign associates to assist and coordinate filing and prosecution of international patent properties.
- Familiarity with patent docketing, patent searching, chemistry-related and other databases is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, sharp attention to detail, and ability to prioritize projects.
- Positive and collaborative attitude.
- A team player that is comfortable collaborating with many individuals across the company, yet is also able to work autonomously as appropriate.
The position comes with a competitive compensation and benefits package, including paid company holidays, paid time off, health benefits, 401k match, and much more. For more information about our plans for the future, and to be considered for this career opportunity, please visit www.codexis.com.