Become our new design lead of strain and fermentation development activities and help enable new-to-the-world biobased vitamin processes.
We are a team of 20 colleagues from all over the world. With the support of international investors, we work together to create a global success and a more sustainable world. We are looking for an entrepreneurial and scientifically skilled person to help bring biobased vitamin to the market through successful innovation of strain- and fermentation development.
Welcome to Biosyntia
Biosyntia’s mission is to enable new-to-the-world biobased vitamins and other ingredients by solving some of the most challenging metabolic engineering projects through smart science. Our biobased manufacturing processes replace polluting chemical production and thus dramatically reduce CO2-footprint and chemical waste emissions. We focus primarily on producing important nutrients including vitamins and antioxidants for use in industries such as personal care, dietary supplements, food fortification, and animal feed.
In your role, you will report to the CSO and be responsible for reaching commercial titers and fermentation targets to get the process to commercially relevant levels. You will lead a sup-project with a team of 2-4 engineers within strain and fermentation development and interact with analytical and downstream processing chemists as well as business developers. In addition, the role entails coordination and communication with third parties (external collaborators, contract manufacturers, and outsourcing partners). In addition, hands-on laboratory work in the area of strain development is expected approximately 3-4 days per week.
Responsibilities in the role
- Key scientific lead of a dedicated metabolic engineering team to drive your project towards commercially relevant product titers
- Hands-on lab work performing strain construction and genotypic/phenotypic characterization for approximately 3-4 days per week
- Identify new technologies to increase the efficiency of constructing improved strains
- People manager for a team of 2-3 strain engineers
- Communicate project and team performance to executive leadership and external partners
- Collaborate and communicate with external partners and internal process development teams to establish commercial-scale processes based on novel strains developed by your team
- Provide technical advice and guidance to other metabolic engineering projects at Biosyntia
Desired experience and skills
- Ph.D. or similar in metabolic engineering, molecular biology, bioengineering, or related field
- Solid understanding of microbial genetics and physiology and how it relates to the various scales of fermentation (bench-, pilot-, and commercial-scale)
- A strong understanding of bioinformatics including NGS, metabolic modeling, scripting, and data analysis
- At least five years of industrial experience in developing microbial (E. coli, yeast, or similar) strains and fermentation processes to produce enzymes or chemical
- Project leadership experience, with the ability to oversee multiple simultaneous subprojects, meet deadlines and collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Proven track record of leading successful teams and mentoring team members – especially strong, structured approach to problem-solving
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to effectively convey project plans and complex technical details to colleagues, management, and external customers
- A result-oriented and can-do mindset; at times willing to take calculated risks and innovative paths to quickly reach results
- Beneficial to have collaborated with process- and regulatory teams to ensure compliance with safety- and regulatory requirements
- Beneficial to have led or been involved in bringing a metabolic engineering project from bench- to commercial scale
- Flat hierarchy and direct communication across departments in a growing organization
- Solve new challenges for making a global sustainable impact
- Join a socially and environmentally responsible company
- Regular team and social events
- Flexible working hours
Apply by June 14, 2021. The position will be filled as soon as we find the right candidate.
Location: København, Danmark