Helaina is a team brought together by the belief that health and developmental outcomes of all infants can be improved through nutritional options closest to breast milk. Our team is revolutionizing the infant nutrition space by developing a food product meant to uniquely support babies in their earliest stages. Helaina’s R&D ecosystem harnesses the power of naturally-occurring biological processes in tandem with modern advances in the space of synthetic biology, fermentation, and improved industrial processing. We are a fast-paced startup looking for our next team member who is intensely passionate about advancing synthetic biology for food and beverage products.
You will serve as the Lead Scientist on our Strain and Metabolic Engineering team focused on developing systems for dynamically controlling recombinant protein expression in microbial strains. Applied experience in design, modeling, strain construction, strain characterization, protocol development, and exploratory research will be necessary.
The ideal candidate will be a diligent, inquisitive, and self-motivated individual with a passion for microorganisms and fermentation. This leadership role will require confidence in their research endeavors, excellent communication, documentation, project management, and organizational skills. Your role will be not only to work on product development, but you will also help to shape our product roadmap and establish milestones for development across all business sectors.
- Lead the Strain Engineering team’s strategic roadmap and generate new scientific directions to explore.
- Own the core strain engineering projects, such as the design of molecular genetic tools, components, and structuring of relevant benchmarking and validation screens.
-Maintain the integrity of relevant laboratory materials (e.g. strain libraries, genetic constructs, equipment, and reagents, etc) and standard operating protocols.
-Prepare technical reports, quantitative analyses, protocols, and scientific presentations for both internal and external audiences.
- Develop new techniques and molecular tools to support strain engineering goals.
-Assay development and optimization of various protein biochemistry techniques including, but not limited to, 96 well plate assays, enzyme kinetics, post-translational modification characterization, and various PAGE techniques including native PAGE and 2D PAGE.
- Manage and mentor Research Associates and Interns.
- D. or Masters (with 5-10 years of relevant experience) with an emphasis on synthetic biology or microbial engineering.
- Proficiency in or ability to quickly learn standard methods of microbiology, molecular biology, and chemical biology: PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis, molecular cloning, microbial transformation (electroporation, etc.), microbial culture, fermentation, and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry.
- Comfortable with state-of-the-art bioinformatics and molecular biology software tools, as well as scientific computing and data analysis.
- Energetic, creative, and motivated.
- Effective communicator, both within a collaborative scientific team and in communicating science to a non-technical audience.
- Self-starting and unafraid of solving challenging problems.
- Experience designing antibodies.
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals or industry journals.
- Experience performing research in an applied industrial or startup setting.