At iMicrobes, we believe there are opportunities for biology to solve our biggest problems. We are an 8-person growing synthetic biology startup backed by Y Combinator. Our mission is to work with the world’s largest companies to use new raw materials and recycled waste for chemical production, polymers, agriculture, and space exploration.
iMicrobes is seeking a full-time laboratory intern for a 3-month project. This is a paid position. We expect to offer a permanent position to exceptional interns.
What you’ll do:
- Gain lots of hands-on lab experience running high-throughput assays
- Evolve our most important proteins using the tools of directed evolution
- Keep our lab clean and organized and help out where needed
- Learn how synthetic biology tools are used to build and test organisms
- Bachelors or Masters in any science field, or expected degree completion within 6 months
- Prior experience working in a biology or chemistry lab
- Practical experience with at least one of the following: PCR, gene cloning, liquid-handling robotics, culturing bacteria or yeast or algae, preparing cell culture media and buffers
We are looking for someone who:
- Likes working in a team and supporting others
- Enjoys learning new things and taking on challenges
- Excels at communicating and coordinating
- Enjoys organizing both physical spaces and data
- Is willing to do whatever is needed to help out
- We are currently looking for someone who can start in September or October
- Free daily lunches and snacks are provided
- This is an excellent opportunity to connect to the bay area synthetic biology community and learn what it’s like to work at a startup
To apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Lab Internship. In a paragraph or two, please tell us about your lab experience and what you enjoyed about it. Tell us when you could start. Include a resume.
About iMicrobes: iMicrobes is developing bio-manufacturing methods that can produce sustainable materials that have both reduced costs and reduced environmental impacts. Our processes use custom microbes with metabolic abilities not found in nature. We work with partners to scale our microbes to get products into the market where they can make a real impact. See www.imicrobes.com.