Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We’re looking for a motivated, driven, and experienced IT Operations Manager to join our rapidly growing team. With your IT operations, support, and management skills, you will be critical to helping Ginkgo build an IT Ops practice and team. This team will need to scale with Ginkgo’s geometric growth – but even more importantly, it will need to execute with flair. The goal of our IT Ops practice is to be an innovative leader in tech operations management and business support – not only at Ginkgo, but within the biotech industry as a whole.
As an IT Ops Manager, we want you to come to Ginkgo and lead. The job will be demanding, though the opportunities for growth are tremendous. You’ll be joining a highly competent, energetic, and visible IT and DevOps team with a track record of significant achievement, and an extremely cohesive spirit that makes it fun to come to work.
- Support Ginkgo at the foundry (lab) and business levels, working with stakeholders to support process improvements and implementation projects.
- Manage daily break/fix activity for on- and off-site business systems, including laptops (Mac, PC, Linux), lab computers (Windows), printers, telephones, conference room A/V equipment.
- Run Ginkgo “office hours,” weekly open meetings where team members can ask questions, troubleshoot, etc.
- Oversee IT Kanban(s), including scheduling, grooming ticket backlog, and generating and delivering reports about IT performance against metrics.
- Write and execute twice-yearly IT-specific OKRs for the company.
- Manage SOP design and documentation.
- Secure vendors and licensing, maintain budget, and order supplies, laptops, standard software, business applications, and more.
- Implement full-line management for IT: recruiting, performance reviews, diversity initiatives, and more.
- Mentor/train junior staff on technologies, processes, and overall career development.
- Speak/present at internal and external events.
- Develop metrics, measurements, and reports on IT performance.
- Work closely with scientists and engineers to resolve outages, and implement changes to avoid future issues.
- Evaluate and leverage both physical (on-prem, co-lo) and AWS network technologies.
Desired Experience and Capabilities:
- BS or MS degree in software engineering or related field, OR equivalent work experience
- 5 years of IT operations experience, with at least 2 years in a managerial position in office/business systems administration (preferably for a biotech organization)
- Significant experience with Windows, OSX, and Linux PCs, as well as VMWare virtualization for on-prem hardware
- Hands-on experience with AWS, Lab IT, and Linux admin a plus
- High-level knowledge of security products (such as Cisco ISE and Firepower, Cisco DNA, ORDR, Okta, Rapid7, Splunk, AirWatch, or similar) a plus
- Strong expertise in Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, LDAP, and related technologies
- Experience with administering and using JIRA, Confluence, JIRA Service Desk, and OpsGenie (or equivalent)
- Experience administering GSuite, Google Docs, Office365, Tableau, Zoom, RingCentral, or other enterprise-class SaaS and hosted applications
- Familiarity with AV and conference room collaboration hardware a plus
- Proven track record of excellent customer service delivery, including working with developers, operators, and users to efficiently troubleshoot and resolve challenging problems
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Experience with requirements gathering, design, project planning, and application implementation a plus
- Previous experience working in the life sciences industry a plus
- Previous experience with network and infrastructure design/build of new office/datacenter/lab spaces a plus
- High level of enthusiasm for working with the best scientists and engineers to further develop Ginkgo’s foundry and help achieve our mission
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.