Lassogen is a start-up biotechnology company that is pioneering the development of natural lasso peptides as a new approach to diagnose and treat disease. To make this happen, we are developing a state-of-the-art genomics and AI-driven platform that provides rapid access to completely novel lassobased therapeutics.
In particular, Lassogen is advancing DNA-encoded display technology that will enable the company to rapidly evolve lasso peptide-based ligands that exhibit high affinity and specificity for diagnostic and therapeutic targets of interest. Recently, Lassogen was selected to participate in a prestigious start-up accelerator program in the Bay Area, which begins on November 1, 2019.
We are seeking two interns who wish to play a role in breakthrough biomedical innovation and help to develop the molecular therapeutics of tomorrow. The candidates will gain a high degree of visibility by directly working with company co-founders. Scientists with experience in molecular biology, synthetic biology, medical biotechnology or related disciplines are welcome to apply. Students must be pursuing or have recently completed a BS, MS, or Ph.D. This internship is for 6 months from November 1, 2019 to April 30, 2020. Candidates are expected to reside nearby and work in the accelerator laboratory in the Bay Area during this 6-month period. Upon completion of the 6-month accelerator program, the company is expected to establish its permanent headquarters and R&D facility in San Diego, CA. This full-time internship may be extended beyond April 30, 2020 to a potential full-time employment opportunity with Lassogen.
- Assist in creating DNA-encoded libraries displaying lasso peptides
- Expand the diversity of display libraries with synthetic DNA containing degenerative codons
- Help prepare DNA samples from DNA-encoded display libraries for validation of library diversity and quality with Next-Gen DNA sequencing (NGS) technology
- Assist in bio-panning experiments to evolve and select for lasso peptide-based high-affinity ligands from DNA-encoded display libraries
- Cultivate bacterial cells and mammalian tissue cultures
- Purify proteins with affinity chromatography, as necessary
- Create standard operating procedures (SOPs) for library creation and the bio-panning process
- Acquire, evaluate, and present results of experiments
- Follow laboratory safety procedures and wear personal protection equipment at all times in the lab (lab coat, safety glasses, gloves, etc.)
- Candidates must be pursuing or have recently completed a BS, MS, or PhD in molecular biology, synthetic biology, microbiology, cell biology or related disciplines (non-Ph.D. scientists with relevant experience also will be considered.)
- Experience with recombinant DNA techniques (e.g., DNA cloning, isolation and sequencing)
- Experience with display technology (e.g., phage display, DNA display, RNA display, ribosome display, etc.) and bio-panning procedures are a plus.
- Experience with cultivating bacterial cells
- Experience with protein purification and Western analysis
- Familiar with DNA visualization software (e.g., Geneious, Vector NTI, etc.), BLAST search, sequence alignment, genomic database search and related software packages
- Experience with Next-Gen DNA sequencing (NGS) is considered is a plus
- Excellent computer skills, able to manage, organize, and critically evaluate data
- Excellent organization and communication skills required
- Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and able to work independently
- Able to adjust and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, team-driven work environment
Work Environment/ Physical Demands: This position involves working primarily in a laboratory setting. As such, this position requires the ability to stand or sit at the bench, the use of standard laboratory equipment, lifting up to 25 lbs (11.36 kg) as well as computers and office equipment. The position requires communication with other individuals through a variety of methods. The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job.
Please send your CV and other pertinent documents on the link below.