Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
To realize our dream of building a next-generation organism company, each of our organisms needs to be successfully deployed. Ensuring that the deployed product reproducibly meets customer and market specification in an economically viable process is critical to Ginkgo’s success. We are seeking a Head of Process Engineering to lead a team of engineers in designing, developing, and deploying production and purification processes for a variety of products at several scales and sites. The successful candidate will also be expected to proactively interact with Ginkgo’s program teams to optimally solve problems through the powerful combination of biology and engineering.
The ideal candidate is passionate about process development, has demonstrated success in leading and managing downstream process development from early- to late-stage development, and is able to interface with and incorporate information from multiple disciplines, both within Ginkgo and externally.
- Manage a team of Process Engineers in the development of economically viable production and purification processes
- Provide strategic leadership for process development and engineering within the organization, and as needed for the expansion of internal and external capabilities
- Ensure the team delivers robust, scalable, and cost-effective processes across a variety of products, on the specified timelines
- Help identify new manufacturing sites, and address capital project needs at external manufacturing facilities, as needed
- Work with Ginkgo’s foundry to accelerate process development timelines, as appropriate
- Travel up to 30% to customer and contract manufacturing sites
Desired Experience and Capabilities:
- BS in chemistry, chemical engineering, or similar field with 10 years of industrial biotech experience; MS with 8 years of experience; OR PhD with 5 years of experience
- Prior experience and demonstrated success in managing a team of engineers toward the successful development and deployment of production and purification processes
- Expertise in a variety of downstream unit operations
- Ability to identify technical problems and suggest resolutions
- Team player mentality, with the ability to work with and incorporate input from people across a range of disciplines and levels
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.