Drive the data strategy and lead the data efforts at Ginkgo as we address the world’s challenges in therapeutics, hunger and sustainability.
Ginkgo’s mission is to make biology easier to engineer. We design, build, and test organisms to address fundamental challenges the world is facing today. Ginkgo bioengineers use our foundry—a custom-built, centralized set of robotic lab equipment and software—to build the organisms that solve these challenges by making critical natural products, pharmaceuticals, biofuels, and more. Data science and analytics are crucial for us to leverage the data we create to generate biological knowledge. We are looking for an expert in biology, data and analytics to own our data strategy, create ontologies and drive the data engineering efforts to support our data scientists and analysts in their quest to engineer biology better.
You will work with the rest of the company to prioritize the data initiatives. You will own the overall strategy and roadmap to ensure data is of high quality and available for analytics. Your team will define our data ontologies, and you will direct the Data Engineering team as they implement the data repositories, APIs and ETLs.
In order to succeed in this role you need a biology background and be skilled at balancing priorities across multiple initiatives and stakeholders. You need experience in creating roadmaps, leading data engineering and analytics efforts, and building data ontologies. You will thrive if you are a self-starter motivated to bring organism engineering to new heights.
- Define, maintain and communicate Ginkgo’s Data Strategy, Data Curation Framework and Data and Analytics Roadmap
- Lead the creation and maintenance of Ginkgo’s Data Ontology
- Drive the Data Engineering Team’s efforts to create the technology necessary to implement the Data Ontology and provide APIs for analytics and data science
- Advise data scientists on strategies and models to leverage Ginkgo’s data to solve problems
- Champion and implement continuous process improvements to enhance productivity
Desired Experience and Capabilities:
- A B.S. or higher degree in molecular biology or a related field
- Industry experience with biotechnology, synthetic biology or related field
- Demonstrated ability to break down complex problems into actionable steps
- 5 years experience leading efforts on data warehousing, data marts or related technologies
- 5 years of experience defining, building and maintaining data ontologies
- 5 years of management experience
- Superb communication skills with all stakeholders
- Excitement to work with the best scientists and engineers to develop new data tools to solve never-before-seen scientific challenges
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.