AbSci is a growth stage synthetic biology company located in a new, state-of-the art laboratory in downtown Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland, OR. AbSci is a global leader and innovator of revolutionary biomanufacturing technologies, designing and programming cells for next-generation biopharmaceuticals. Our Protein Printing™ technology results in dramatic reductions in the cost of producing biologics, acceleration of drug discovery timelines, and enables the production of previously difficult or impossible-to-produce molecules. Our technology is a new paradigm in protein production, as it increases discovery throughput, accelerates development, reduces manufacturing costs, and increases plant capacity for the biopharmaceutical industry.
We are currently seeking a motivated and accomplished Group Leader to guide the Purification (DSP) team in further developing the capabilities of AbSci’s proprietary E. coli SoluPro® expression platform and high-throughput strain optimization workflow. Following a player-coach model, this chromatographer and protein chemist will both lead the team as well as participate directly in the work at the lab bench.
- Collaborate with a team of scientists and associates and leverage the modern downstream processing (DSP) process toolbox, assay development, high-throughput screening/chromatography technologies, and DSP process optimization to push the boundaries of AbSci’s Protein Printing™ technology.
- Deliver to clients with a 3-stage purification process to assure the proteins meet specifications/comparability, as appropriate, for the respective product.
- Work with Senior Management to set the scientific direction and be the ‘guiding intelligence’ for the DSP team.
- Collaborate with, motivate, and empower a high-performing team of scientists in successfully executing on project milestones under tight timelines.
- Effectively split time between leadership activities and hands-on time at the bench.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the DSP team, including DSP process development, assay development and execution for the molecule of interest, and high-throughput screening/chromatography for the evaluation of protein expression and folding in the strains.
- Provide technical leadership and project management to advance internal company priorities and deliver on partnered programs.
- Collaborate with AbSci’s scientific leadership team to ensure success of external partnerships and build a company culture that reflects AbSci’s core values.
- Candidates will hold a Ph.D. in the life sciences with minimum of 5 years experience in industry or Masters Degree with equivalent years experience.
- Experience has a focus in DSP processing and chromatography, biochemistry, and microbiology. Proven track record of problem-solving and troubleshooting skills applied in a chromatographic context.
- Experience managing teams of 2-5+ Scientists and Research Associates.
- Broad background in DSP processing and chromatographic separations (analytical and process).
- Practical experience with laboratory and pilot scale chromatography, their associated instrumentation, (e.g., AKTA Pure, HPLC, etc.), and DSP process unit operations, (e.g., TFF, cell harvest, filtration,protein precipitation, centrifugation, etc.)
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication and leadership skills, including conflict management and trust building.
Huge plus (but not required):
- Experience in statistical data analysis and Design of Experiments (DoE)
- Proficiency in using software packages such as LIMS, ELNs (electronic lab notebooks), UNICORN, EMPOWER, JMP, etc.
- Experience with high-throughput workflows, laboratory automation, and complex data sets.
We seek candidates with a passion for building a creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to make a transformative impact to our industry. To be successful in this role, we look for passion in scientific innovation, adept technical skills, and excitement about working in a dynamic startup environment. A demonstrable track record of success in functioning as part of a project team is essential. AbSci offers highly competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) with a generous company match.