AbSci is a growth stage synthetic biology company located in a new, state-of-the art laboratory in downtown Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland, OR. AbSci is a global leader and innovator of revolutionary biomanufacturing technologies, designing and programming cells for next-generation biopharmaceuticals. Our Protein Printing™ technology results in dramatic reductions in the cost of producing biologics, acceleration of drug discovery timelines, and enables the production of previously difficult or impossible-to-produce molecules.
The Group Leader, under the general direction of the Vice President of Research, will lead the Molecular Sciences team in further developing the capabilities of AbSci’s proprietary E. coli SoluPro® expression platform and high-throughput strain optimization workflow. The ideal candidate is a visionary synthetic biologist who will leverage the modern E. coli genetic toolbox, bioinformatics and machine learning, assay development, and high-throughput screening technologies to push the boundaries of AbSci’s Protein Printing™ technology. The ideal candidate is highly motivated and self directed, extremely organized, has excellent collaboration skills, a creative approach to problem-solving, exhibits superior people and program management skills, and can execute nimbly and efficiently in a dynamic startup environment. Following a player-coach model, the Group Leader will both lead the team as well as participate directly in the work at the lab bench.
· Work with the Vice President of Research to set the scientific direction and objectives for the Molecular Sciences team.
· Lead, motivate, and empower a high-performing team of scientists in successfully executing on project milestones under aggressive timelines.
· Effectively split time between leadership activities and hands-on time at the bench.
· Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Molecular Sciences team, including DNA library construction, strain engineering, assay development, and high-throughput screening.
· Provide technical leadership and project management to advance internal company priorities and deliver on partnered programs.
· Collaborate with AbSci’s scientific leadership team to ensure success of external partnerships and build a company culture that reflects AbSci’s core values.
· Candidates will hold a Ph.D. in the life sciences, with a focus in synthetic biology, biochemistry, microbiology or molecular biology.
· Minimum of 5 years in industry with experience managing teams of 6+ scientists and research associates.
· Broad background in recombinant protein expression in prokaryotic production hosts.
· Extensive practical experience with cutting-edge DNA assembly and cloning techniques, including the design, construction, and screening of high-diversity DNA libraries.
· Hands-on experience with modern strain engineering technologies and approaches.
· Proficient in using software packages such as Geneious to design DNA constructs and to analyze DNA sequencing data (Sanger and NGS).
· Familiarity with NGS platforms – the hardware, raw data, and common bioinformatic analysis approaches for genomics and transcriptomics experiments.
· Extensive experience with high-throughput workflows, laboratory automation, and complex data sets.
· Experience with FACS and flow cytometry is a plus.
· Familiarity with LIMS systems.
· Track record of strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills applied in a biological engineering context.
· Demonstrated interpersonal communication and leadership skills, including conflict management and trust building.
· Passion for building a gritty and creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and determined to make a transformative impact to our industry.
AbSci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) with a generous company match.