Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
At the heart of our foundry is high-throughput genetic engineering across multiple species. Our approaches are designed to scale 100-1000X via software and automation. We are seeking engineers to improve and scale our existing technologies and define and develop the next set of synthesis technologies that will lie at the center of the foundry.
The ideal candidate has led the development of a high-throughput biological process from development, validation through to successful operation at scale, most likely for DNA synthesis or sequencing. A demonstrated ability to evolve a process in response to changing technology and demands is essential. Experience in a mixed team of software developers, process engineers, and biologists is important.
Note: This is a weekend shift, four 10 hour days with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday a requirement (the fourth day is flexible)
- Operate and improve processes for DNA synthesis and assembly platforms
- Apply DOE approaches to refine and improve methods
- Translate methods and tools to be performed by our Software and Automation teams
- Work hand-in-hand with Software and Automation engineers to scale up methods and tools 100-1000X
- Develop processes for verification and quality control of constructed genetic parts and strains
Desired Experience and Capabilities:
- Ability to work weekend shift
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry or biomedical engineering
- At least two years of relevant experience with molecular biology protocols (such as DNA amplification and modification, gene synthesis, next generation sequencing, bacteria culturing, and plasmid prep), as well as understanding of related reagents
- Demonstrated expertise in manufacturing with automated fluid handling equipment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact with customers, fellow team members, and senior management
- Ability to work independently and as part of team in a fluid, fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated use of SPC, DOE, and Failure Analysis techniques preferred
- Exposure to Six-Sigma and Lean Manufacturing a plus
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.