Huue is a Melinda Gates-backed biotechnology company creating the next generation of sustainable dyes for the industries – food, cosmetics, textiles – that are integral to a sustainable future, starting with the indigo for denim. We’re looking for scientists excited about building something new and disrupting an industry. We are hiring a highly motivated Fermentation Scientist to develop a robust, scaleable fermentation process for small molecule products. You will be part of a core team of scientists working to engineer microbial strains and scale fermentation processes to develop more sustainable dyes.
- Plan, execute, and analyze bench-scale to pilot-scale experiments for the fermentation of small molecule products.
- Test process improvements based on knowledge of microbial physiology and metabolism.
- Collaborate with downstream processing engineers to develop a manufacturing process that can be executed at commercial scale.
- Interface with contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs) to scale the process to pilot scale reactors.
- Maintain and fix fermentation equipment as needed. Provide input on new equipment purchases.
- Keep organized and detailed documentation. Develop SOPs for documentation and knowledge transfer.
- Identify contamination and design measures to avoid it.
- Keep up to date with current literature.
- Present data internally as well as with outside stakeholders, including CMOs or investors.
- PhD with more than 2 years, or MS with over 6 years, or BS with over 8 years relevant industry experience. Degree in chemical engineering, bioengineering, molecular biology, microbiology, or other related field preferred.
- Successful track record of developing fermentation process improvements.
- Experience with operating bench scale and pilot scale bioreactors with sterile technique.
- Strong knowledge of microbial physiology and cellular metabolism.
- Experience with analytical chemistry.
- Experience working with CMOs.
- Able to occasionally work off hours or weekends.
- Independent, detail-oriented worker with strong project management skills.
- Clear and proactive communicator, written and verbal.
- Creative problem solver.
- Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary startup team environment.
- Bonus points for interest in denim, sustainability, and/or fashion.