Conagen Inc. is a leader in cutting-edge bio-manufacturing. We engineer organisms to produce high-value molecules that are essential to our well-being. Our focus is on food, nutrition, pharmaceuticals, and renewable materials. We employ the latest synthetic biology tools to design metabolic pathways and produce safe and high-quality products. Science and innovation are the driving forces of our mission. We believe in a green future.
Location: Bedford, MA
Job Type: Full-time
Compensation: Commensurate with skills and experience
Job Description Overview:
The Process Development Group provides support through the development and optimization of production processes. We work with our R&D and manufacturing colleagues. We are seeking a Research Associate to join our Fermentation Process Development team. This individual will collaborate with Scientists and Process Engineers to design experiments, record and analyze results, and participate in scale-up/scale-down activities.
This hands-on position requires a desire and ability to work as an integral part of a multidisciplinary team, as well as the demonstration of a high degree of flexibility, creativity, and initiative applied to the various duties and aspects of the position. This position will be responsible for the day-to-day fermentation operations and will assist in the development and optimization of new, robust fermentation processes at lab scale.
- Perform media, buffer and stock solution preparation.
- Perform small scale (shake flask, micro well plate) studies to screen for different process parameters and media components.
- Setup, operate and monitor fermentation processes ranging from 1L to 50L and operate associated lab equipment like fermenters, autoclave and glass washer.
- Perform routine sample processing and analysis which includes measurement of optical density (spectrophotometer), fermentation metabolites (NOVA, YSI, HPLC) and product concentration (HPLC, GC).
- Should be able to efficiently communicate results in the form of reports and/or PowerPoint presentations.
- Assist in compiling SOPs and other technical documentation.
- Assist in scale-up and scale-down activities
- Maintain laboratory notebooks and batch records.
- Maintain laboratory and ensure equipment is in good working order.
- Contribute and adhere to all safety standards and practices.
- M.S degree or B.S. degree with 1+ years of experience in Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or Industrial Biotechnology.
- Previous hands on experience with any of the following microbial processing steps: fermentation, media/buffer preparation, equipment assembly/cleaning/sterilization, process monitoring and sampling.
- Familiarity with basic laboratory equipment: fermenters, pH meter, autoclaves, laboratory scales, equipment washers, centrifuges, computers and other instrumentation.
- Experience in Process Development Fermentation preferred.
- Have basic knowledge of microbiology and good aseptic techniques.
- Ability to read and follow detailed instructions and record information clearly and accurately.
- Ability to work successfully independently and in teams to meet project goals and timelines.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- No relocation assistance available
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer – and celebrate our employees’ differences, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status.
How to apply:
Commensurate with experience.
This position is not eligible for any type of visa sponsorship.
Cover letters and resumes will be accepted ONLY via email (email@example.com) or via Indeed.com.
Please do not contact the Company by phone until notified.