Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is a stealth-mode company that emerged from Y-Combinator and raised Seed financing led by Andreessen Horowitz in late 2017. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $250 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Elegen is looking for a highly versatile results-driven organic synthetic chemist to help us optimize standard and novel solid-phase DNA synthetic chemistry and manipulations on our proprietary microfluidic platform.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and innovative scientist to work alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best to develop an exciting new technology. The company culture focuses on building a high functioning, collaborative, and efficient team that is constantly innovating to deliver life science innovations that change the world. We do this while maintaining the highest degree of mutual respect and integrity.
- Optimize solid-phase DNA synthesis on our proprietary hardware.
- Design and execute hypothesis driven experiments with the goal of trouble shooting and quality optimization.
- Develop and document robust, reproducible laboratory processes for automated DNA synthesis on our proprietary hardware with high yield and consistent side product distribution.
- Analyze data efficiently and accurately to measure performance.
- Work safely and independently in a laboratory environment.
- Communicate plans and results effectively with team members.
- Participate in project brainstorming discussions with lead scientists.
Essential Candidate Qualifications:
- PhD in organic synthetic chemistry, or equivalent experience.
- Must have experience running water- and air-sensitive reactions.
- Process chemistry experience is a plus.
- Well versed in theory and practice of general chemistry, solid-phase synthesis, and instrumental analysis techniques (e.g. HPLC, MS, etc.).
- Highly proficient with data aggregation and analysis using rigorous statistics.
- Proficiency in programming is a plus.