Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is a stealth-mode company that emerged from Y-Combinator and raised Seed financing led by Andreessen Horowitz in late 2017. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $250 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Elegen is developing a disruptive DNA synthesis platform and is seeking an intensely passionate and versatile molecular or synthetic biologist to lead the development of molecular methods and techniques for various synthetic or molecular biology applications.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and innovative scientist to work alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best to develop an exciting new technology. The company culture focuses on building a high functioning, collaborative, and efficient team that is constantly innovating to deliver life science innovations that change the world. We do this while maintaining the highest degree of mutual respect and integrity.
- Create, demonstrate, troubleshoot, and optimize molecular and synthetic biology methods complement our proprietary DNA synthesis hardware.
- Develop or establish, optimize, and execute the appropriate testing or measurement methodologies to guide research and development.
- Plan and execute hypothesis driven, statistically rigorous experiments or DOE approaches.
- Properly analyze, document, and report results.
- Collaborate on the design and construction of hardware or software components as needed.
- As necessary, develop protocols into reproducible standard operating procedures.
- Roll up your sleeves, get results, move fast.
Essential Candidate Qualifications:
- PhD in the biological or engineering sciences.
- Deep knowledge and proven accomplishments molecular biology.
- Demonstrable strength in math and statistics.
- Proficient in at least one programming language.
- Advanced capability with data aggregation and analysis using Excel, R, or similar.