Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We’re looking for a stellar financial professional to oversee our technical accounting function. The Director of Technical Accounting will provide key guidance and support to complex transactions and business initiatives, as well as financial reporting policies, activities, and documentation. This role will be critical to Ginkgo’s continued growth by serving as the go-to expert on the accounting principles, systems, and processes necessary to maintain reporting efficiency and achieve financial success.
From your years of experience as a senior accounting leader, you’re extremely adept at preparing memos, executive-level reports, and deal documentation. You’re also innately curious and highly analytical, with a need to constantly stay informed on the latest accounting policies and platforms. Plus, your passion for science and technology, combined with your experience in the industry, allow you to thrive in fast-paced environments and work effectively within cross-functional teams.
- Provide significant support of the annual financial statement audit, including oversight of third-party subject matter experts and work with external Big 4 audit firm
- Establish and maintain an acute understanding of Ginkgo’s financial models, business strategies, and complex transactions
- Collaborate with Finance team and executive leadership to implement, update, and enforce accounting policies and draft complementary documentation
- Stay abreast of existing and emerging financial accounting and reporting principles, assessing their applicability to Ginkgo and developing action plans for adoption when needed
- Ensure appropriate documentation (including analysis, relevant literature, and conclusions) of accounting treatment of complex areas, such as collaborations, joint ventures, real estate leases, IP, minority ownership positions, and stock-based compensation
- Support the Business Development and M&A teams during deal negotiation processes by providing deal pricing/accounting, deal documentation, and contract guidance as necessary
- Establish effective financial controls over the evaluation and application of accounting literature to complex transactions
- Contribute to the development of discipline and enterprise policies that facilitate a strong internal control environment
- Contribute to the end-to-end monthly closing process, as well as the preparation of reporting packages for executive leadership and the Board
- Develop cross-functional processes that improve the efficiency and timeliness of financial reporting and support Ginkgo’s continued growth
- Execute on special projects, as needed
Desired Experience and Capabilities:
- 10+ years of technical accounting experience, with at least five years in a senior- or director-level role
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or related field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) strongly preferred
- 5+ years of public accounting experience, preferably with a Big 4 firm
- 5+ years of experience in the life sciences or biotech industries
- Prior experience within a startup environment strongly preferred
- In-depth knowledge of technical accounting (U.S. GAAP), SEC reporting, technical accounting memo writing, and internal controls
- Superb analytical, strategic, and critical thinking skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Strong prioritization and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to effectively work with executive leadership and cross-functional teams throughout the company
- Ability to remain flexible in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Demonstrated commitment, self-motivation, and drive
- Enthusiasm about being a part of Ginkgo’s mission
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.