AbSci, a growth stage synthetic biology company located in a new, state-of-the art laboratory in downtown Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland, OR. AbSci is a global leader and innovator of revolutionary biomanufacturing technologies, designing and programming cells for next-generation biopharmaceuticals. Our technology is the new gold standard in protein production, as it increases discovery throughput, accelerates development, reduces manufacturing costs, and increases plant capacity for the biopharmaceutical industry.
We are currently seeking a self-motivated, passionate, and accomplished Director, Analytical Development to join our team. This person will report to the Vice President, Research, and lead a team of scientists supporting the characterization of proteins expressed using SoluProTM, AbSci’s proprietary E. coli expression platform. This position requires a strong background in analytical chromatography and mass spectrometry to support the high-throughput characterization of complex therapeutic proteins, as well as proteomics-based assessments of biomanufacturing proteins and E. coli physiology. This position will require multi-disciplinary collaboration with Molecular Sciences, Purification, and Fermentation, and Bioinformatics teams. This position is a part of AbSci’s scientific leadership team, and will play an integral role in the direction of company culture and scientific focus.
- Assume primary responsibility for scientific operations, management, and strategic direction of analytical development activities
- Perform data analysis, interpretation, and present internally to team members and senior management
- Recruit scientific and technical talent to expand the analytical development team
- Lead, mentor, and inspire team members
- Manage multiple independent experiments concurrently, including maintaining effective data capture, technical protocols, and analysis
- Champion and lead new developments of AbSci’s core technology and coordinate cross-functional collaborative projects
- Provide leadership and drive change through AbSci’s scientific leadership team
- Passion for building a creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and determined to make a transformative impact to our industry
- Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related field
- 7+ years of directly relevant experience in an industry setting
- Experience supervising teams of 5+ members
- Expert in protein characterization methods including intact RP-LC, SEC-LC, IEX-LC, SPE-MS, and peptide mapping.
- Preference given to candidates with high-throughput protein characterization experience
- Experience with microbial systems, especially E. coli, for production and characterization of complex proteins.
- Deep understanding of protein therapeutics and the technological innovations that enable rapid characterization and iteration to meet aggressive program timelines.
- Experience with industry standard analytics software, LIMS and operating in a software driven environment.